Giro 2018 "contains spoilers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lotto Mumbo Jumbo have now tweeted this following George Bennett's response:

Disclaimer to avoid any misinterpretation: this is not an insinuation, but a way to express the admiration for an exceptional achievement. Congratulations to Chris Froome and Team Sky.

:giggle:

400bhp

Guru
Tom Domoulin needs to ask Cadel Evans for some advice on how to save a GT by riding a committed long distance chase and not wait for help from lesser riders, he lost half that time on descents. Waiting for Pinot and Reichenbach was a waste of time.
I agree with you. Doumoulin realised this when it was too late. But to be fair to him it was perfectly normal for him to wait. Thing was, it was an abnormal performance by Froome.

People saying they haven’t seen anything like that in the modern era but contador did that to purito in the vuelta some years ago didn’t he? The time when Bertie got really emotional afterwards.

People saying they haven’t seen anything like that in the modern era but contador did that to purito in the vuelta some years ago didn’t he? The time when Bertie got really emotional afterwards.
He did but Beefy Bert is not someone to look to on this. Who ultimately knows, I'm willing to suspend disbelief otherwise I'd no longer watch the sport. I don't think it compares to Landis's 8 minutes or Riise's attack on Indurain or Pantani's Alp d'Huez ride or Armstrong's sensational attacks. It looked like a bunch of tired riders at the end of 3 weeks and it looked liked Dumoulin misjudged it and Froome risked everything and had some luck but who knows. It may all be academic anyhow but I still enjoyed watching it.

He did but Beefy Bert is not someone to look to on this. Who ultimately knows, I'm willing to suspend disbelief otherwise I'd no longer watch the sport. I don't think it compares to Landis's 8 minutes or Riise's attack on Indurain or Pantani's Alp d'Huez ride or Armstrong's sensational attacks. It looked like a bunch of tired riders at the end of 3 weeks and it looked liked Dumoulin misjudged it and Froome risked everything and had some luck but who knows. It may all be academic anyhow but I still enjoyed watching it.
How many times have we pretended that?

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Agree with most of this exept for it being 'luck' this was a well planned stage.Sky would of planned this attack merticulously,it just took Froome to carry it out.Which he did faultlessly.If you like Froome/Sky it was the greatest ever stage win,if you dont it was just a win..... I feel for Yates who would of been a deserving winner but thats racing.Froome seemed to come into this slightly under fit and get stronger as the race has progresed.People were quick to jump on his failings in the first week and as quick to jump on his win now.I hope hes in pink in Rome !

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsUaMdB1_TLMDhNZQynT-1zpxK4Rr5ZUP3saxUcTE8Li9p-MEK.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCbAetuouLV1jqSbdIgeCKf9H3KygE8IDFGskoV_yr4mNRgIMtVA.jpg

Agree with most of this exept for it being 'luck' this was a well planned stage.Sky would of planned this attack merticulously,it just took Froome to carry it out.Which he did faultlessly.If you like Froome/Sky it was the greatest ever stage win,if you dont it was just a win..... I feel for Yates who would of been a deserving winner but thats racing.Froome seemed to come into this slightly under fit and get stronger as the race has progresed.People were quick to jump on his failings in the first week and as quick to jump on his win now.I hope hes in pink in Rome !
The luck was in the descent, he took risks, Dumoulin didn't, then on the valley roads, Dumoulin sat in a bit and the group didn't work well together, then they began attacking each other on the final climb from early on, which favoured Froome. If that group had worked together well, he may have only gained seconds not minutes.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
The luck was in the descent, he took risks, Dumoulin didn't, then on the valley roads, Dumoulin sat in a bit and the group didn't work well together, then they began attacking each other on the final climb from early on, which favoured Froome. If that group had worked together well, he may have only gained seconds not minutes.
A "if only" from Dumoulin...
“On my own I can descend just as fast as Froome, but Reichenbach descends kind of like an old lady. With hindsight, that wasn’t the best idea. But it’s easy to say that afterwards

Archie

Errrr.....
I watched yesterday's stage as live in the evening as I thought it might kick off. Wow.

I think Doumoulin put in a good ride to control the gap after the race was in bits. Still torn on whether he made a mistake in waiting for the group on the descent of Finestre though. He got some turns from the GFJ riders but with the youngsters in the group it was never going to function well. He might set off on his own next time and TT the valley.

Advantage Froome, but it still isn't over.

Top Bottom