Giro 2019 - Simon Yates - 2nd time trial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Hi,
I’m just watching the Eurosport highlights re-run of the 2019 Giro and reached the 2nd TT.
Was it ever revealed why Simon Yates had such a ‘slow’ (!!!) time?
Many thanks.

All I remember was that fatigue got the better of him in the last few days.

I don't recall the TTs at all, sorry!

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

All I remember was that fatigue got the better of him in the last few days.

I don't recall the TTs at all, sorry!

Good of you to reply thank you. It never ceases to amaze me how more of the riders don’t completely fall off the pace over a 3 week tour but I guess that is what leads them to being professional cyclists!!!

Adam4868

Guru
Was lucky enough to go to that TT in Italy.Yates was beginning to fade by then,he was so dominant I. The first few weeks it took its toll.

Adam4868

Guru
Not maybe got 3 weeks in him?
To be fair he was unbeatable in the first two weeks,but in a three week grand tour it's not really about stage wins.Yea I know of course we want to see it,and he deserved it.But the long game is knowing your limits over the three weeks.
The other small problem was Froome ! Stage 19 was something else !

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

To be fair he was unbeatable in the first two weeks,but in a three week grand tour it's not really about stage wins.Yea I know of course we want to see it,and he deserved it.But the long game is knowing your limits over the three weeks.
Frome - awesome - credit where credit’s due. Not my favourite cyclist to watch.

Adam4868

Guru
Frome - awesome - credit where credit’s due. Not my favourite cyclist to watch.
My favourite...so obviously not biased ! I do like it when people say,he looks awkward on bike,can't descend,crashes a lot,he's finished etc...one things for sure you can never write him off !

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wasn't that 2018?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yes,I'm presuming that's the one that @Martinsnos means ? What's a year here and there 😁
A year ago I was young, full of the joys of Spring, golden locks blowing in the wind, women pleading with me to get jiggy jig...
A year on I'm an imprisoned, bitter old man with nothing but fading memories...

Oh, do give over FFS (ed)😄

Adam4868

Guru
A year ago I was young, full of the joys of Spring, golden locks blowing in the wind, women pleading with me to get jiggy jig...
A year on I'm an imprisoned, bitter old man with nothing but fading memories...

Oh, do give over FFS (ed)😄
I don't mind a year here or there @rich p.But now your confusing decades mate 🙄

Crikey, don't the years fly by.
<googles> Yeah, so Yates had very good starts in 2018 AND 2019. That's my excuse for the confusion!
But 2018 was his stellar year - he was still leading after the Stage 17 ITT. And then blew up.
(In 2019 it went wrong on the Stage 9 ITT).

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

<googles> Yeah, so Yates had very good starts in 2018 AND 2019. That's my excuse for the confusion!
But 2018 was his stellar year - he was still leading after the Stage 17 ITT. And then blew up.
Well done for clarifying - everything is becoming a bit of a blur!!!

Adam4868

Guru
We knew what you meant ! The only suprised was rich knowing which year it was 😁

Top Bottom