Giro 2021. (with spoilers )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've enjoyed watching the full race coverage. Often the fight to get into the break is one of the most exciting bits of action

But...I really don't like this idea of teams blocking the road to let a break get away. I think the race commissares should outlaw it. You wouldn't get away with it on a narrow climb if say an Ineos rider went on the attack and his team blocked the road to prevent others countering the attack so why is it ok on the flat?

Catching up this morning, terrific mountain stage by Dan Martin yesterday ^_^, bit flatter today, anyone fancy a punt as it should suit the sprinters?
I'm going another stage win for Vendrame.
Favourites 18th stage 2021 Giro d’Italia
*** Patrick Bevin, Diego Ulissi, Rémi Cavagna, Taco van der Hoorn
** Mikkel Honoré, Jan Tratnik, Andrea Pasqualon, Edoardo Affini
* Peter Sagan, Andrea Vendrame, Enrico Battaglin, Nikias Arndt

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I've enjoyed watching the full race coverage. Often the fight to get into the break is one of the most exciting bits of action

But...I really don't like this idea of teams blocking the road to let a break get away. I think the race commissares should outlaw it. You wouldn't get away with it on a narrow climb if say an Ineos rider went on the attack and his team blocked the road to prevent others countering the attack so why is it ok on the flat?
I take your point but unfortunately it's part of the sport and it's tactics...they can outlaw it if they choose,they can fine riders if they want for obstructing or some similar wording.
Sagan got fined and docked UCI points today for something similar...intimidation,bullying.

Milzy

Guru
I take your point but unfortunately it's part of the sport and it's tactics...they can outlaw it if they choose,they can fine riders if they want for obstructing or some similar wording.
Sagan got fined and docked UCI points today for something similar...intimidation,bullying.
Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) was docked 50 UCI points and fined 1000 CHF for "Intimidation, improper conduct against other riders" according to the Giro d'Italia stage 18 race jury communiqué.
I thinking blocking is fine but don’t bully riders. This guy is like a squeaky clean hero to the world but now looks like a right nobber.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) was docked 50 UCI points and fined 1000 CHF for "Intimidation, improper conduct against other riders" according to the Giro d'Italia stage 18 race jury communiqué.
I thinking blocking is fine but don’t bully riders. This guy is like a squeaky clean hero to the world but now looks like a right nobber.
He's not really arsed which is a shame.Might as well just sit in the bunch and claim the points jersey.Would of been nice for him to try for a win ?

matticus

Guru
Well ... squeaky clean since the Podium Girl Incident.
I like the guy, but he does make mistakes, and isn't the smartest rider in the peloton.

(And I think blocking is obviously cheating; it's probably already in breach of some ambiguously worded rule, but ignored for years 🤦‍♀️

matticus

Guru
Cracking stage today - I love a scrappy squabble in a breakaway! The last 30k profile played a big part (quite Spring Classic?). 3 guys really going for it, rest of the break preferred to watch and not take a chance.

Milzy

Guru
Well ... squeaky clean since the Podium Girl Incident.
I like the guy, but he does make mistakes, and isn't the smartest rider in the peloton.

(And I think blocking is obviously cheating; it's probably already in breach of some ambiguously worded rule, but ignored for years 🤦‍♀️
Racing car drivers have to block for defending tactics but if it’s done in a dangerous manner may be penalised.

matticus

Guru
Racing car drivers have to block for defending tactics but if it’s done in a dangerous manner may be penalised.
Yeah, in motorsport there are actually rules about how you can "block" (although a lot of fans seem unaware of this, perhaps preferring a chariot-racing style from the movies) e.g. you can't just weave around on a straight making it impossible for anyone to pass!

In bike racing it just shouldn't be part of the contest; it's about your lungs and legs, plus a bit of tactics around drafting.
(track-racing is more closely defined e.g. you cannot come out beyond the "sprinter's line" when you are ahead, and many people are DQed for this. But I think the "unwritten" rules are the same; if you are ahead you can choose the shortest/fastest line, but you can't impede another rider for advantage.)

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Yeah, in motorsport there are actually rules about how you can "block" (although a lot of fans seem unaware of this, perhaps preferring a chariot-racing style from the movies) e.g. you can't just weave around on a straight making it impossible for anyone to pass!

In bike racing it just shouldn't be part of the contest; it's about your lungs and legs, plus a bit of tactics around drafting.
(track-racing is more closely defined e.g. you cannot come out beyond the "sprinter's line" when you are ahead, and many people are DQed for this. But I think the "unwritten" rules are the same; if you are ahead you can choose the shortest/fastest line, but you can't impede another rider for advantage.)
Racing is tactical,especially on a GT....there's a reason why it was called chess on wheels 😁

Top Bottom