Giro 2021. (with spoilers )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru

Martinsnos

Jumbo Visma car was about 3m at one stage. According to the commentators there is a very small benefit up y
What was the closest you saw a car? At "typical" follow distance the effect would be negligible, I think.
(they'll get more benefit over the 3 weeks from Motos driving too close in front of them!)
o
What was the closest you saw a car? At "typical" follow distance the effect would be negligible, I think.
(they'll get more benefit over the 3 weeks from Motos driving too close in front of them!)

Jumbo Visma car was about 3m at o

J

Jumbo Visma car was about 3m at one stage (helicopter shot).
According to the commentators, there is a mild effect at 10m and quite a considerable effect at 5m.

Jumbo Visma car was about 3m at one stage (helicopter shot).
According to the commentators, there is a mild effect at 10m and quite a considerable effect at 5m.
[You didn't have to quote me 3 times! I'm flattered though :smile: ]

3metres - to me - is unacceptable. I don't recall seeing that in a televised race*, it would certainly ring alarm bells. I watched the highlights of this one, and probably not in great detail. Mostly saw riders taking corners at "brave" speeds, and gurning the last 400m to the finish.
I haven't seen the relevant regs, but that feels dodgy just on safety grounds. What possible justification does the DS have? They're all wearing radios - so no need to shout at your rider - and anyway the team car's prime function is mechanical backup.

Last time I read up on this 10metres was too far back to feel a difference, but speeds do go up, and aero studies/simulations get better.

*Worth watching Francesco Moser footage from his Giro win - note the motorbikes!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Pippo pulling the pelotonalmost singlehandedly like a.......erm. Pulling very very hard. What an engine!
Privilege of pink today is not spending all day eating wheel-sprayed road crud!

50km to go, 7min40 gap. Have they let the break go or are the climbs hard enough to catch them all?

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Pippo pulling the pelotonalmost singlehandedly like a.......erm. Pulling very very hard. What an engine!
Not much higher praise than this from Kelly !
Sean Kelly: "Ganna looks cool on the bike". The King has spoken.

Milzy

Guru
Very disappointed at João Almeida. Flagging so early on after a good Giro last year. Quick step don’t like paying high wages so maybe they’ll negotiate him down or let him go.

Top Bottom