Giro Atmos Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I have this helmwt for about three months now. Somebody brought it from the states where it sells for $100 which was a discounted price.

It is a very well made helmet amd the finish is excellent. It comes in three sizes, small , medium and large so you need to measure the circumference of your head to get the right size for you. Once fitted you turn a knurled nut at the back to tighten up or loosen the fit. At first I had it too tight so it was loosed off to make it more comfortable. On the subject of comfort there is very little padding on the inside and top of the helmet which I found a bit scratchy, but that is because I am folically challenged! Any way I soon got used to it. The Atmos is very light and you can forget you are wearing it. The chin strap is a simple pull and adjust affair and worked fine. The ventilation system is excellent and kept my head cool in this tropical climate.

All in all a good helmet for not such a small price but does feel like quality.

Different helmet manafacturers have different fits, some are elongated and narrow, some are shorter and wider........then there is the depth of the "bowl"

If you are lucky then the purchase made unseen and untried is OK, but it is a big risk. A poorly fitting helmet can double the chances of an injury.

Fitting is important, and again this should be done in the shop unless you are a competent fitter.

The RocLoc system used by Giro has (in it's various forms) a vertical adjustment as well., and the width of the harness. Proper adjustment of these should be able to lift the helmet slightly and solve the issue of scratchiness

Agree with the bit about being follically challenged. This helmet was my wife's Xmas present to me. Light, airy (seemed to be more ventilation than helmet) and it fit, but there was insufficient padding particularly longitudinally and I found that my head was always directly against the EPS and I couldn't get it comfortable. It fit really well, but it just was too devoid of the internal padding I required. Swapped it for a cheaper and better padded Giro Saros and picked up a top with difference. So, happy days. Will review Saros when I've used it a few times.

yello

Agreed, the padding on the Atmos is minimal. I've replaced mine twice in 6 years of not a lot of use.

Otherwise, it's a helmet I like and would buy another should I ever decide a new helmet is needed.

jay clock

Massive member
I have one. Excellent. The key is to find a brand that fits your head. The main problem I have is that mine is very round so looks more like O than 0, so even if the circumference is the same, the more oval ones squeeze too tightly on the sides.

I had a Giro Atmos for about 3 months and had no problems with it. It took me a while to get the straps to fit and feel right, but once I had sorted that out it was a comfortable helmet even with glasses on, which I have found to be a problem with other helmets in the past.
I tested mine last week when I hit the back of a van at 30mph and put my head through the rear window. It seems to have worked as it should and you can see where the helmet was fitted on my head by the lack of cuts. It is in the bin now, but I will be getting another one.

Licramite

Über Member
Maybe you should invest in - glasses? - only joking.

I wear a sweat bang under my helmet, gives it a push on fit - but It does rub on the top of my head, but the body can only cope with so many pains coming from different directions so I don't notice it afte a couple of miles.

I did replace the helmet with another Atmos. In the interest of testing it for CC, I had a car pull out in front of me while I was doing 30mph (seems a good speed to test at) It looks as though I hit the drivers side door post and then went through the window. The helmet took a big impact as you can see from the pics:

DSC00371_zpscb2acd4c.jpg

DSC00373_zps6496ff8d.jpg

DSC00376_zpsf177a5da.jpg

DSC00374_zps5a422f69.jpg

The helmet has taken some of the impact but how much it helped is open to debate. I did suffer a lot of cuts to my face and had a lot of glass in my hair so it certainly stopped me getting cuts on the top of my head.
I have decided I need something a little brighter though so my next helmet will be a Lazer Helium in the fluoro yellow. Hopefully I will not have to write a test on how that reacts in an accident.

After reading another post about helmets, I inspected this one a little closer and you can clearly see where the helmet hit the door post, it is half the thickness of the equivalent piece on the other side of the helmet, so it has absorbed some of the impact. Where the helmet has cracked internally at the top, there is no evidenceof it being depressed or absorbing the impact. On the outside of the helmet there are numerous cuts and scratches which I presu,e wer from going through the window. There was also glass embedded into the shell of the helmet.
There is a lot of delamination in the front of the helmet but it has also absorbed some of the impact and is thinner by about a third.

Top Bottom