Giro D'Italia..........some questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Showing my ignorance here.
I dont watch LOTS of cycle racing and my bike is a basic Giant with drop bars.

Watching tonight......sort of individual time trials.

1) the actual bikes. Are they specific to that type of cycling? ie double handlebars and wheels similar to those on track bikes
2) all the competitors are wearing long socks. Why?

Any other information appreciated.
Thanks

1) yes, time trial bikes
2) fashion victims

midlife

Guru
It's an aero thing so specific TT bikes. The "socks" are an aero device to "fair in" the foot area to avoid drag...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
^_^

It's possible that they make a small amount of difference to aerodynamics at the kind of speeds pros race at, but all the aero booties and pointy helmets and skinsuits in the world won't help you if you're a feckless idiot like Thibaut Pinot.
Yes, I'm really disappointed with Thibaut Pinot. ;)

Are the UCI sock length rules different for time trials?

biking_fox

Guru
Is it usual to get so man penalties for drafting? I know odd riders get docked here and there for byzantine judgements of the comissionaires, but there were 6?8? riders that got time penalties (up to 2 minutes which is huge) - mostly because the vehicles ahead of them didn't get out of the way??

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Is it usual to get so man penalties for drafting? I know odd riders get docked here and there for byzantine judgements of the comissionaires, but there were 6?8? riders that got time penalties (up to 2 minutes which is huge) - mostly because the vehicles ahead of them didn't get out of the way??
Listening to the commentary (not always a reliable source I know) the Giro organisers are using video evidence to pick up a greater number of crimes and misdemeanours. There was certainly a fair bit of naughtiness going on during the ITT, but the penalties were uneven to say the least. Aru got 20s for drafting a police bike after claiming a surprising 6?th place, while Mads Pedersen got 30s for nothing so obvious.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-aru-penalised-20-seconds-for-drafting/

Buddfox

Veteran
Listening to the commentary (not always a reliable source I know) the Giro organisers are using video evidence to pick up a greater number of crimes and misdemeanours. There was certainly a fair bit of naughtiness going on during the ITT, but the penalties were uneven to say the least. Aru got 20s for drafting a police bike after claiming a surprising 6?th place, while Mads Pedersen got 30s for nothing so obvious.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-aru-penalised-20-seconds-for-drafting/

Is one of them Italian and the other not? I’d be shocked, shocked if the ever parochial Giro had changed its even handed approach...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Is one of them Italian and the other not? I’d be shocked, shocked if the ever parochial Giro had changed its even handed approach...
After having just reread Gomorrah, the book of the film about the Camorra, Mads was probably lucky to get away with 30s (being thrown down a well followed by a grenade is the next sanction up from a time penalty).

Last edited:
Top Bottom