Gisburn with air ambulance drama..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Francesca

Went to Gisburn today with some friends and tested my new On One Scandal, which was a dreammmmmmmmm to ride:hyper: View attachment 9100 , so light and quick. Unfortunately one of our friends decided to go down a few of the drop jumps and as he landed , his bike skidded and he smashed into a nearby tree. The noise he made and screams were upsetting, least to say the state he was in. Covered in blood and unable to move with laboured breathing, we called the emergency services, and thanks to the Air Ambulance guys , our friend was swiftly treated, and air lifted to Preston Royal Hospital. We were told he had more thank likely cracked some ribs and broken arm.
Incidents like this do put things into perspective, and the other riders that were around ensured the trail was closed whilst the services did their job. Everybody were fantastic and very helpful.
I even managed to wave and say hello to Mr Ed Oxley :hello:who was cycling past with his class of mountainbikers. Mr Oxley is a legend!!I hope to book a MTB course with him this year.
We had a great day , apart from the accident, but the weather was brilliant.
Fran On One Scandal Gisburn May 2012.jpg

Helicopter 1.jpg

Helicopter 2.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh dear, and folk say road cycling is dangerous.

Hope he is OK - all part of the 'fun'.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I blame the tree - they don't half jump out at you. :wacko:

PS I'm not big on descending fast off road, or indeed do any drop offs - never been to a trail centre as there are loads of routes locally in the Peak, but I've always backed off mad descents and stuff, as my road cycling takes priority - i.e. don't get injured.

Hope he gets fixed up quick anyway.

OP
OP
Francesca

Francesca

I blame the tree - they don't half jump out at you. :wacko:

PS I'm not big on descending fast off road, or indeed do any drop offs - never been to a trail centre as there are loads of routes locally in the Peak, but I've always backed off mad descents and stuff, as my road cycling takes priority - i.e. don't get injured.

Hope he gets fixed up quick anyway.
cheers fossyant:thumbsup:

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Hope your friend has a speedy recovery there Fran ... Nice to see you enjoyed the bike this weekend, but did you have to force your friend into the tree to win the race? ;)

AA (on nose of helicopter) = Air Ambulance registration code last two letters G-NWAA

OP
OP
Francesca

Francesca

Hope your friend has a speedy recovery there Fran ... Nice to see you enjoyed the bike this weekend, but did you have to force your friend into the tree to win the race? ;)

AA (on nose of helicopter) = Air Ambulance registration code last two letters G-NWAA
Hi Norman - cheers for that, and enjoyed the ride and the On One - what a beauty to ride, handled well and ever so light, I didnt go down the drops that our friend did, he was very lucky that he had helmet on ,would have split his head open. His helmet was smahed up bad. He has been checked over and thank God he is ok. There are some bloody nutter mtbrs at Gisburn though -crazy mental heads!:hyper:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hi Norman - cheers for that, and enjoyed the ride and the On One - what a beauty to ride, handled well and ever so light, I didnt go down the drops that our friend did, he was very lucky that he had helmet on ,would have split his head open. His helmet was smahed up bad. He has been checked over and thank God he is ok. There are some bloody nutter mtbrs at Gisburn though -crazy mental heads!:hyper:
Sounds like the bike lived up to expectations.... and so it should. Do we get more of a breakdown of your ride... favourite bits, any trail features you've learnt to ride with a bit more confidence? Have you put your bodyweight shifting skills into practice on the new bike?

OP
OP
Francesca

Francesca

Sounds like the bike lived up to expectations.... and so it should. Do we get more of a breakdown of your ride... favourite bits, any trail features you've learnt to ride with a bit more confidence? Have you put your bodyweight shifting skills into practice on the new bike?
Concentrated more on using the gears as Ive never used this style before, so challenged myslef up hills shifting body weight and "feeling" the bike to suit the gears. Very impressed with the bike, its speed and durability on the bends and dips, handling on the track, breaks absolutely superb (Hope X2 brakes). Didnt do alot today though due to the accident and waiting with my friend, but my confidence is up and up with this new bike.!!happy days^_^

flying start

Veteran
Hope your friend has a speedy recovery!
Nice to see you had fun and good wether was on your side
and seeing ed oxley from great rock sweet would love to do a course with him
Would be good to do one with some other cycle chat people to..!
It nocks your confidence when seeing some one hert them selfs at least you had fun and the bike looks good to.

Top Bottom