1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give up your car and get a ton for free

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by spindrift, 5 Dec 2007.

1. spindrift

spindrift New Member

2. Cab

Cab New Member

Nice idea. Although not having a car to begin with, if I lived there I'd still want my hundred quid.

3. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

"Islington council is trying to encourage drivers to give up their cars and get on their bikes" and cycle on the pavement...

4. DP

DP Chasse patate

"It (Islington Council) will give a voucher for £100 - enough to buy a basic bike..."

Nice idea, but £100 is a bit optimistic isn't it? I reckon you'd be lucky if £100 would cover a lock, some lights, some wet weather clothing and a helmet (if you're so inclined).

5. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Enough to buy a shoot bike. Make it a fookin' grand ferrcrissakes.

6. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

7. spindrift

spindrift New Member

- basic + sh1te on toast

8. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I have to say, £100 doesn't sound like a huge amount to me, and I'm not hugely well off. I can't imagine it means much to someone already paying £200 pa for parking, and living in London, where everything costs more - half a York parking permit would be about £40, so on that scale, it's really peanuts, isn't it?

Also, of course, not enough for a half decent bike (plus stuff like lock, pump, waterproof jacket - all the stuff we tell newbies to budget for), unless you go second hand...

9. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

On the other hand, of course, it's better than nothing, or a slap in the face with a wet haddock.

10. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

they're only giving up their parking permit