Give Way priority question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackm

As a driving instructor in that situation I always get the pupil to find a mutual understanding of what's going to happen next...a bit of eye contact or reading of body language goes a long way to making the junction safer and helps all. It doesn't matter too much who has the legal right of way if the person opposite you has a different opinion

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As a driving instructor ........ It doesn't matter too much who has the legal right of way if the person opposite you has a different opinion

I thought nobody had the legal right-of-way? No wonder new drivers have so many accidents if this is what they are taught.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The taxi pulls out on me but we both stop (I was expecting it). I assume he has decided to let me go, nod and smile my thanks and proceed on my way, passing in front of him.

So you made a mistake regarding the priority - and now you know different. But your second mistake was in forgetting that it was a taxi. There is clearly a different rule for them - no matter what I'm doing (walking, cycling, driving) I'd give them priority - they obviously think they have a right to it and it's simply not worth the hassle of arguing with them.

If it had been any other driver they'd most likely have accepted your nod and smile and everyone would've gone on their way quite happily.

Ian193

Über Member
Did you get his licence plate could be worth reporting him to the hackney carriage office but as said above taxi drivers think they own the flaming roads

As
As a driving instructor in that situation I always get the pupil to find a mutual understanding of what's going to happen next...a bit of eye contact or reading of body language goes a long way to making the junction safer and helps all. It doesn't matter too much who has the legal right of way if the person opposite you has a different opinion
As a driving instructor Id expect you to know the difference between ''right of way' and 'priority'.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
If A is a cyclist and B a motorist, then the former gives way, because might is right, and highway code be damned :sad: .

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
ok...heres my take..

you were wrong in your assumption of right of way. That said at that point you seemed to have made the assumption he was letting across him...clearly he gave you that impression or you wouldn't have ridden across him I guess. But it appears you misunderstood him?

All of that is day to day stuff on the road...we all make mistakes. His actions after that point leave a lot to be desired. Personally I would not have told him to f orf given that it would have been my error in the first place...I think that is what triggered his moronic and dangerous and aggressive driving thereafter, which to me is unacceptable because he was seemingly deliberately trying to pursue and harass you.

I think, from what you say, a smile and a friendly wave instead of a f orf would have calmed this moron instead of releasing his small penis mentality even further.

jmho.:smile:

Top Bottom