Give Way priority question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well, B should be able to see A approaching the junction, wait accordingly just over the line but not crossing, that if B's left is clear, otherwise they need to wait behind the give way line.
@deptfordmarmoset I remember many moons ago my driving instructor saying do not hesitate at junctions or others will think you give way.
Ah, but I've done impromptu full-body valeting of car bonnets on a couple of occasions when I hadn't hesitated. When push comes to shove, it's the bigger vehicle that pushes and the smaller that gets shoved...

Neither, but if i was B I would go behind A as he crosses the road.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Without reading further down the page to compare others' replies, here's mine, it's maybe not the Highway Code answer but it's what I do..

If I'm the car driver I'll always give priority to the cyclist, whether he's going right or straight ahead.

If I'm the cyclist, I'll look for eye contact with the driver and try to judge from his reaction to me whether he is giving me priority or is likely to take priority. (Is he creeping, revving, champing at the bit to go?) I generally err on the side of caution and assume he won't yield, so I'll wait until he's out of the way.

If the two of us are equals (car + car, bike + bike), I rely on the last-mentioned option.

I hate these situations and do my utmost to avoid a conflict here as it's a dangerous place to be; stuck in the middle of a main road.

GC

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
Right, I can see the weight of consensus is that the vehicle going straight on (A) has priority.

:sad:

So here's what actually happened...

I was turning right as vehicle B.

I *think* I crossed my line marginally before the taxi that was vehicle A, secure in my belief that I had right of way as I was crossing his give way on the main road (ok, I was wrong it seems) but prepared to stop as it's one of those ambiguous junctions where most of the time people tend to just sit there, play it safe and wait for someone else to make a decision.

Not this time.

The taxi pulls out on me but we both stop (I was expecting it). I assume he has decided to let me go, nod and smile my thanks and proceed on my way, passing in front of him.

At this point (I'm directly in front of him now) he blasts his horn at me, nudges forwards towards me, revving his engine and gives me a torrent of shouted abuse. I carry on as I'm committed by now anyway and respond to his abuse that perhaps he should explore the possibilities of sex and travel (I tell him to f... off).

Carrying on down the road. a glance over my shoulder shows that he is turning about in the road using forward and reverse gears in order to pursue me. Great, here we go. There is no other traffic (i.e. witnesses) in sight.

So he screams past me inches away, horn again blasting and shouting abuse and then jumps on his brakes in front of me, carrying on the length of the road at about 10mph in an attempt (I presume) to annoy me by slowing me down. Shaking my head, I carry on without rising to it, holding back far enough to react if he is to do anything else unexpected until at the T-junction end of the road he gives me the Vs and screeches off in a cloud of self righteous tyre smoke.

It seems my passing in front of him and delaying him by 2 seconds is worth adding another several minutes onto his journey and risking losing his career thanks to a dangerous driving charge just to prove he was right. It's one of the few times I wish I had a helmet camera.

Guess I'll know next time... thanks for all the input!

I think the driver reacted badly but his chasing you down was probably more to do with you telling him to F. Off rather than the turning across him.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
@Teuchter as a much abused cyclist by Glasgow's taxis I feel for you. :hugs:
Thanks Pat. To be fair most are fine and in my experience, this sort of thing is an extremely rare occurrence.

I think the driver reacted badly but his chasing you down was probably more to do with you telling him to F. Off rather than the turning across him.
Yep, my wife is always telling me that my big mouth will get me in trouble one of these days but sometimes, it's hard not to respond even when that little voice in my head is telling me to be the bigger person and just shut up and move along.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
, it's hard not to respond even when that little voice in my head is telling me to be the bigger person and just shut up and move along.
Listen to that voice, it appears to be talking a lot of sense!

Yep, my wife is always telling me that my big mouth will get me in trouble one of these days but sometimes, it's hard not to respond even when that little voice in my head is telling me to be the bigger person and just shut up and move along.

Don't get me wrong, his repsonse was totally disproportionate, endangering someone becuase of a swear word. I am also guitly of swearing at people so not being judgemental at all.

I have learnt though if I mess up and the other person is annoyed, a little mea culpa goes a long way to diffuse the situation. I'm, sure you know this and also know that telling him to F Off was only going to make the situation worse.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Well regardless of who had priority, he was bang out of order to respond like that. I don't blame you for telling him to F Off with him leaning on the horn and the revs. He's clearly got issues.

In general, if you get furious behind the wheel, you are a bad driver.

Top Bottom