Giving blood and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

mr brambles

Über Member
Thanks for advice guys, it went well last night didnt even feel dizzy afterwards, I gave SWMBO a fright when donating, we were in mid conversation and thought it would be funny to have a blank look on my face then 'pass out'. The look on her face was priceless.:evil:

This mornings ride was at a slighly slower pace but i felt fine.

Katherine

Guru
I was going to post a new thread about cycling after giving blood. Then I did a quick search...

The previous answers are helpful.
I'm giving blood at the end of next week after only giving once in my early 20s. I was wondering about cycling earlier in the day and or the next day.

I signed up after the campaign for short supplies back in March and this was the first appointment for the local donor sessions.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As has been said. Take it steady, and maybe wait slightly longer than the 10 minutes tea drinking/biscuit eating time.
I used to ride several miles to and from my appointments, when I could get one.
I've almost given up trying around here. Always full on my shifted days off.

I was going to post a new thread about cycling after giving blood. Then I did a quick search...

The previous answers are helpful.
I'm giving blood at the end of next week after only giving once in my early 20s. I was wondering about cycling earlier in the day and or the next day.

I signed up after the campaign for short supplies back in March and this was the first appointment for the local donor sessions.

Abuse the free biscuits :-)

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
67 donations so far ... so by my reckoning that's 201 free custard creams and 134 free drinks. I always find I'm fine for a gentle ride the next day. I wouldn't even think of doing an audax or a hilly ride, and I would make sure I drink loads. What I have found is that my stamina dips a bit for the next week or two, leaving me struggling to keep up with my mates towards the end of club rides. Your body makes up for the loss of fluid within 24 hours, but it takes a fortnight to a month to build up your red blood cell count back to its normal level. I always try to schedule my donor sessions for at least 2 to 3 weeks before any audaxes or Metric Century-a-Month Challenge rides that I have planned. Doing that, I have always fully recovered my stamina just in time.

Cycle happily in the morning. Just make sure you are well hydrated - as I mentioned above, I have to drink a couple of pints to give a decent donation - so I guess I am mostly donating water.

I wouldn't commit to cycling the next day. See how you feel, and don't push yourself if you decide to do it, and if it's hot be very careful. Fainting is a possibility, and that could be catastrophic on a bike.

I've found I bounce back well, and happily make appointments that require a 40km round trip. I do though, overstay my welcome in the refreshment area and abuse the biscuits, as described. I didn't do it when I first came back, after a long absence - though I was a regular donor, giving monthly plasma donations for a few years, apparently Melbourne's primary source of tetanus antibodies for a while <shudder>

amusing (well, to me) fact: I can't spell donor. Before I fixed, I was calling my self a kebab (doner)

Edit: I also can't spell tetanus

Top Bottom