Giving blood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started giving blood when I changed job a couple of years ago. They come to my workplace three times a year and I get to donate on company time. Since I moved house I noticed they also do it a few minutes walk from my house so if I change job again I've got no excuses.

Chris James

Über Member
domtyler said:
I totally passed out ...when I had some blood taken at the doctors. QUOTE]

Funnily enough I passed out years ago when giving 5cc of blood for a blood test, but have donated blood twice without passing out. My blood test was for cholesterol (sp?) to join a doctor's practice and I think the combination of not eating for 12 hours before the test and sitting in the sun next to a radiator did for me.

Originally Posted by domtyler

Sorry, I have a bit of a thing about needles, a right baby. It's just the thought of it really is making me feel a little light headed already. I totally passed out when I had my first tattoo done, and then again when I had some blood taken at the doctors. I have total respect for the people who do it, it's just not my thing I guess.

They can always just slit your wrist and leave it over a bucket; then they would only need a knife blade, no need to bother with a needle. :rolleyes:

I’ve just given my 40th pint, or is it 500ml now that it’s metric?

barq

trustysteed said:
i tried but they said as i'd been to africa within the last two years, they didn't want it. then after that period expired, i went back and they said because i'd been sleeping with someone who'd been to africa in the last two years, they didnt want it.

I'm not allowed to donate blood either. I'm young, in good health, I've been tested for things like HIV and hepatitis but as a gay man I'm banned from giving blood - same with organ donation too I believe.

Come to think of it, given the scare over BSE/CFD being transmitted by blood they should really want me to donate - as a long time vegetarian I should be a really low risk! :rolleyes:

Melvil

I was reading the other day that in certain parts of the US they pay donors for blood - isn't that a bit unethical?

barq

domtyler said:
How do they no you're gay? Or do they have a big sign up outside?

No they don't have a sign, but they do have a leaflet which explains it very clearly. Check out the "You should never give blood if..." section on their website --> clicky link. I hate being in the prostitute / intravenous drug user category.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well i'd rather have blood from someone who's had negative HIV/hep tests and is gay than from someone who is straight but who's not been tested.

barq

alecstilleyedye said:
well i'd rather have blood from someone who's had negative HIV/hep tests and is gay than from someone who is straight but who's not been tested.

Well I do sometimes wonder if I should just lie and donate the blood anyway!

Melvil said:
I was reading the other day that in certain parts of the US they pay donors for blood - isn't that a bit unethical?

Yes, South Africa and many other places too.

More worryingly than any 'ethics' question is that they have a big queue of homeless people outside, all wanting to give blood and get paid for it (well, not exactly 'give' I guess).
They'll tour the city going from one donor centre to another and can 'give' (be paid for) several times a day...

You can't really blame them if they're really in that desperate a state, but they hardly have very healthy lives although I'm sure they'd all tick the boxes about not ever having taken drugs intravenously...

vbc

Thank you to all the donors, I needed quite a few units after my accident in late May.

I gave blood once in my mid 20's when I was in the RAF but looked so ill afterwards, they made me lie down and they thought about giving me some back! I tried donating again a few years ago but they didn't want any because I'd been abroad somewhere on their black list, can't remember where now. The way they sent me away as if I was a leper sort of put me off. Crap excuse I know.

I'm group o+ too which I believe makes me a universal donor.

Tetedelacourse

Steve Austin said:
I give blood :blush:

The reason? I love TUC biscuits :biggrin:

Steve, you do know that those are available without having to give blood?:rolleyes::sad:

I give blood for 2 reasons:

1. I can't think of a more virtuous way of spending 15 minutes lying down and then feasting on choccy biccies.

2. I take pleasure in informing people that my blood has been harvested:biggrin:

You're not allowed to give blood if you're partial to bestiality either - it's downright bigotry. Or in some cases, pigotry:ohmy:

Top Bottom