Glasgow 20mph petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
(83% of 170 = 142 people who voted against. By comparison, the campaign has attracted over 1200 petition signatures in favour without really putting effort into collecting signatures.

As I've said before I challenge anyone who is against 20 mph limits to find just one road in Worthing where the majority of residents are against it.

Strangely the anti-20 mph voices still haven't responded to this challenge!)

Bad Company

Very Old Person
(83% of 170 = 142 people who voted against. By comparison, the campaign has attracted over 1200 petition signatures in favour without really putting effort into collecting signatures.

As I've said before I challenge anyone who is against 20 mph limits to find just one road in Worthing where the majority of residents are against it.

Strangely the anti-20 mph voices still haven't responded to this challenge!)

The numbers in Worthing were:-

• 18,911 individual respondents voted

• 5796 (30.6%) individual respondents voted Yes

• 13,115 (69.4%) individual respondents voted No

If you are right and the majority of residents wanted the 20 limit why did they not vote?

Drago

Legendary Member
Ask the families of dead pedestrians and cyclists and see what they reckon.

As an occasional car/truck driver myself I can't see the problem with doing 20 instead of 30. So you're going a little slower, whoopee doo.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Petitioners for the 20mph scheme in Glasgow made their presentation to the council today and "were met with unanimous cross-party support".

The Go-Bike report goes on to say,
"The petition is now to be passed to the Policy and Resources Committee and council staff have been asked to prepare details and a revised timescale for 20mph implementation, ie a timescale significantly shorter than the 40 years based on their current rate of progress."

Great news.

GC

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Petitioners for the 20mph scheme in Glasgow made their presentation to the council today and "were met with unanimous cross-party support".

The Go-Bike report goes on to say,
"The petition is now to be passed to the Policy and Resources Committee and council staff have been asked to prepare details and a revised timescale for 20mph implementation, ie a timescale significantly shorter than the 40 years based on their current rate of progress."

Great news.

GC
Yeah, around here, on the South Lanarkshire border, most side streets have already 20mph speed limit. Not all drivers observe it, but those streets are the ones I prefer to cycle on.

Who cares how many politicians agree? Makes no odds until the police enforce it.

Until you get their support its just metal circles with numbers on them.

[QUOTE 3691532, member: 45"]No, it's not. Some people don't need to be forced to follow speed limits, and this has an effect on the rest of the traffic.[/QUOTE]
Got them splattered all over the roads here in London and makes no odds to what I see. Only place I see slowing are in bridges with cameras.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Who cares how many politicians agree? Makes no odds until the police enforce it.

Until you get their support its just metal circles with numbers on them.
Me to the local shopkeeper bombing down the road in his car:
this street is 20mph, you know? :rolleyes:
him: I am late for work :blush:
At least we can point it out to drivers ... while they run us over :laugh:

Feastie

Über Member
I always find this one weird because my personal experience of 20mph zones (I live in one of them in London) is that they actually feel a lot more dangerous to cycle in, I'm always glad to be out of mine. The speed bumps required are the real problem - people try to overtake you because they feel they should and then they remember about the speed bumps and I can't count the number of times I've had somebody accelerate in front of me and then suddenly brake. Or do some insane overtakes into the opposite lane, and often directly into oncoming traffic, just to get around me in the gaps between speed bumps. And the bumps themselves are a pain for *me* to cycle over, as they're pretty monstrous. To avoid them means risking being doored on one side or splatted by an angry overtaker on the other.

One person's experience isn't obviously the same as all this research, but if I moved somewhere else and we were having this debate, I wouldn't actually vote in favour of a 20mph zone either. Or if I did, it would have to be 20mph with cameras and not speed bumps. Just my opinion on it.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Where I live has been a 20mph zone since 2000.
Despite being off the 'main' road its a busy area, with 3 high frequency bus routes and is a cut through between two main routes.
The speed limit is routinely ignored by virtually everyone. In fact I often feel like I'm the only person who even tries to stick to the limit.
So whilst more and more 20 mph zones are being introduced across the city it's a largely empty gesture as there are no resources from the police to mount any form of enforcement.

whosadam

Its clear that reducing the speed limit goes hand in hand with reducing road deaths and serious injuries.
But as has been made clear by everyone above - Getting drivers to slow down is hard.

I believe that safety for cyclists has to come from a wide range of angles.
But to start I feel it would be better having a mandatory cycle awareness training for motorists, Starting with HGV and other Commerical Vehicle drivers (including taxis!!!) before encompassing everyday drivers.

Many of the problems we encounter are because of drivers not understanding our position on the road, why we act in certain ways and certainly because they know not of how it feels to be squeezed or turned left on when they haven't got their indicators on. Empathy and Understanding is what we need to create between car drivers and bicycle riders!

LetMeEatCake

A bit of thread resurrection - got email to say that the petition had 'concluded'. Seems the council have agreed with the petition's aims and - hold on to your hats - have instructed the land department to submit a report on "how this could be resourced to assist in progressing the Council’s overarching vision for road safety." I'm pleased it's received positive attention from the council - but concerned that the idea might just be slowly swallowed up in bureaucratic sludge.

Top Bottom