Glasgow approaches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
ncn7 doesn’t go to greenock - that-s 75 - from Ayr the 7 goes thru Prestwick then on paths to Troon. From there it runs to Irvine, then kilwinning, farm roads to Glengarnock then old railway route to Paisley and in to Glasgow.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Once you’ve done the 3 mile descent of Ayr Rd (which is only a painted lane, albeit wider than it used to be) you are then on the horrible commuter 6 mile corridor into the city.
There are shortcuts through Rukinglen and Pollock park :smile:

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
If you have loads of time I like my route up from Largs (fish supper is a must) through the many choices towards Stewarton or Dunlop or there is an old railway cycle path to Paisley apparently, although I've only done a few miles on that one myself as it's not the most scenic. Lots of choices from there, even if you wanted to head to Erskine and follow the Clyde all the way into town, although there will be lots of other options that would be quicker.
Fish supper in Largs sounds good.

I'll pore over my maps when I get to Hadrian's Wall and see how much time I have for which route.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I've only cycled the Ayr road for a stretch, taking back roads to get there.
There is a wide cycle lane, with lots of parked cars.
We actually had a demo on that road not long ago.
Out of rush hours, it's fine even for a slow coach like me. The tricky bit is to get to town from the area, avoiding the chocked roads.
I know several shortcuts through parks and side lanes, once you have a more detailed plan let me know if you come that way.

The NCN7 takes you all the way to the Clyde in the centre, iirc there's only one big hill just after Greenock.
The rest was fine on my hybrid, but last time I rode to Greenock, a few years ago, there was a landslide at Port Glasgow with a poorly sign posted diversion.
@Bobby Mhor will know if it's better now.

No way!
From Lanark till Glasgow you have to leave the Clyde Walkway (NCN74) several times, it becomes a jungle in several stretches.
I tried, we almost fell into the river trying to lift the bikes over ditches and trees.
I would take the roads from Lanark (visit Lanark Village and the falls of the Clyde),
until Blantyre or Cambuslang, then join the cycle route again.

Yes, you can cycle to the West End along the Clyde, then come back and visit the city.
The West End is more vibrant that the city at the moment: especially Sauchiehall Street (top end of town) is a bit run down due to internet shopping and high rates.
@Pat "5mph"
All sorted...

rualexander

Legendary Member
Another option would be to forget about cycling into the city and jump on a train from one of the ayrshire stations (or lanarkshire stations if coming that way), no need to book on these local trains, save yourself some time for seeing other stuff.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Sounds like a great trip Rob. Enjoy .

pjd57

Veteran
There are shortcuts through Rukinglen and Pollock park :smile:
I've lived in Glasgow all my life and still get lost in Pollock park.

CRM sites....Queens cross church is very close to the canal path , then another few minutes further along is Ruchill parish church . It's the church hall that's the CRM building.
It's only a few hundred yards from there to the Kelvin and a short ride to Kelvingrove and the Riverside Museum.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
I finally made it to Glasgow yesterday, from a direction I hadn't planned, and amused myself quite happily riding slowly round the city centre and West End and looking at things until my train left 4 hours later.

I spent Tuesday night at the youth hostel in New Lanark due to the threat of rain, and then simply rode along the main roads into Glasgow. The first part of the A72, before Hamilton, was delightful, and it just got gradually more urban, and the roads wider and faster, as I went on through Cambuslang and Rutherglen. There wasn't much traffic at 11 am but I'm sure there were nicer ways I could have taken (I did consult google maps but opted instead for the simpler route-finding of just sticking to the signposted roads). If you're interested my route was this :
upload_2019-8-29_20-58-17.png

The squiggles at the top are my explorations before catching the train. I got as far as George Square in the east and Partick in the west. It is a very attractive city and I've been reading today about all the other things I should have looked for. Those will have to wait for another time.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions, even if in the end I just randomly did my own thing.

Rob

Last edited:
Top Bottom