Glasgow / Chris Hoy velodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
Anyone else riden it yet?

Currently working my way through accreditation and it is great fun!

It is very busy at the moment so if you want to try it out I suggest getting in touch with the arena soon to book the first taster / accred 1 session otherwise you could be waiting until well into the new year for a space to appear.

edwardd67

Doing first session tomorrow night looking forward to it.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I wont be riding until the new year now anyway, but thanks for the heads up on how busy it is - looks like I'll need to do the sessions during the day as I will be able too!!

oldroadman

Veteran
Bankings are, I think, a degree or two steeper than Manchester/London/Newport, as the track design is different, longer straights and tighter bends, with a more acute banking transition from corner to straight. Not a Ron Webb design, Schurmann job, I think. Personally I like the Webb profile better, but if you can ride a Schurmann, Webb ones might be a little easier.

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
Bankings are, I think, a degree or two steeper than Manchester/London/Newport, as the track design is different, longer straights and tighter bends, with a more acute banking transition from corner to straight. Not a Ron Webb design, Schurmann job, I think. Personally I like the Webb profile better, but if you can ride a Schurmann, Webb ones might be a little easier.

Didnt realise that, just assumed a 250 metre track would be roughly the same dimensions.

Does the more acute banking transition make things potentially faster?

FreeFlow Bikes

Really fancy giving it a bash but those banks scare the sh!te out me! Lol I went to the Track World Championships recently on the Sunday, my first track event and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hoping to build up the courage and get booked in for the Accred sessions.

oldroadman

Veteran
Didnt realise that, just assumed a 250 metre track would be roughly the same dimensions.

Does the more acute banking transition make things potentially faster?
No, just different, so it needs a different way of riding principally by the sprinters. Looking at it, the transitions from corners to straight are a slightly steeper angle than Manchester, so it pays to go high for a launch into the 200, at least for TT rounds.

Just done my 2nd accreditation session. Only 2 more to go and they are both 2 hour sessions. Once I've completed them I can then turn up at the drop-in sessions or even start competing in the track league. Loving it so far but its harder than it looks on the telly!!

Gazmob

I have my first accreditation session tomorrow , never been near a track before, in fact I have not even been out on the road bike in 6 weeks - any advice for the first session ?

OP
OP
zizou

zizou

Veteran
Now got my accreditation :smile:

Impressed with the coaching set up, i've had 4 different coaches for the different levels and they have all used different methods of coaching and drills but all good. Kevin in particular deserves a mention - he is an elite level sprinter in his own right, yet still very approachable and good with beginners, his enthusiasm for the sport is infectious.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I'm just back from the first session - great fun!

My first time on a fixed gear bike, but it went easily enough. It was a bit scary looking up at the banking when riding round the Cote d'Azur to begin with, but once you got up there it was quite enjoyable.

Looking very much forward to session 2 now.

Top Bottom