Glasgow clyde cycle tunnel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hiya, I'm new to the forum

So are both tunnels now reopened both south and northbound for cycling through?

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Yes both tunnels are open. The northbound tunnel is accessed via what used to be the pedestrian walkway. To get there, you need to mount the curb, cycle over some rough ground with plenty of glass on it and cycle down the uninspiring entrance to the tunnel. But it is open! :rolleyes:

Where do you cycle from and too?

rarelyused

Regular
Hiya, I'm new to the forum

So are both tunnels now reopened both south and northbound for cycling through?

Hi. I'm also new to the forum, in the sense that I've read it lots but never written anything. Well, here goes...

FYI, the last two days I've tried to get into the northbound tunnel and been told by the gate operator that it is closed...again. Today I asked him how long for, and he guessed a couple of weeks. I didn't make out his reason for the closure. They are directing people to use the southbound tunnel instead, presumably carefully ;)

Hi. I'm also new to the forum, in the sense that I've read it lots but never written anything. Well, here goes...

FYI, the last two days I've tried to get into the northbound tunnel and been told by the gate operator that it is closed...again. Today I asked him how long for, and he guessed a couple of weeks. I didn't make out his reason for the closure. They are directing people to use the southbound tunnel instead, presumably carefully ;)

Hi rarelyused! Welcome to the forum! :welcome:Glad you stopped lurking! You should tell us a wee bit about yourself!

Your right and I was about to post about this tonight. The reason it is closed is due to the heavy rain the other day. The nothbound tunnel got flooded which was due to the pumping equipment failing. So they are keeping that close until it is repaired. The guy on the end of the intercom was more chatty with me!

I really need to put a video up of the entrance to the northbound tunnel. It is very poor in my opinion!

rarelyused

Regular
After a few days holiday, back on my bike and glad to find the northbound tunnel is reopen. Also, the road works at the north end of the northbound road tunnel have been cleared, so there are no longer tailbacks on Dumbarton Road - good news all round!

magnatom - I totally agree about the state of the approach to the tunnel. At the very least a drop-kerb would be nice! Mind you, the tunnel itself is pretty dingy compared to the southbound, and they both appear to be suffering from damp, peeling paint/plaster-work at the moment.

Indeed you are correct. Both tunnels are now open (although I've been on holiday this week).

Yes I've noticed the peeling paint, I wondered if it was intentional, but it does seem patchy. I've never seen it do that before. Oh well, just another problem with the tunnel! :rolleyes:

I'm actually quite enjoyed the tailback on Dumbarton Road. More cars to sail past! :smile:

chunky

Hi,
I'd like to use the cycle paths to cycle from the Southside to where I'm working just now in Scotstoun. Are both directions still open, and are people actively using them during the day? Any trouble with neds just now?

I'd be going through around 7am in the morning and back again at 4.30pm in the afternoon, so hoping this is outside peak ned time!

Thanks,

Chunky

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Dang! I should have checked yesterday morning, I cycled right past it at Partick going back home to D*mbarton whilst on an early morning training run round the west end on the BSO, AKA Sir Creaky Bike of the Dump (I also had my yellow Hi Vis Skyride vest on which I had forgotten all about, but I hadn't realised just how prominent the lettering is on it :blush:).

Annyway, Magnatom would know, IF HE WAS STILL ABOUT AND NOT LURKING, hint hint. :biggrin:

I might go and take a look later today. Incidentally, I have walked through the tunnel several times during the day and have never had any problems with Neds.

Hello by the way Chunky and welcome!

Jim_Noir

It's been 7 weeks since I used the tunnel (or cycled to work!), but most people only use the north bound tunnel (both ways). As for peak ned times, they mostly just sit in a inshot drinking and are not a problem to be fair and it's not that offten you see them... and at thoese time you are using it it might just be some school kids in there. Your other option is the renfrew ferry or over the bells bridge... but the tunnel isn't as bad as you think it is ( iused to think you needed a SAS detail to get through it!)... the climb out however, that's another story :biggrin:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hi,
I'd like to use the cycle paths to cycle from the Southside to where I'm working just now in Scotstoun. Are both directions still open, and are people actively using them during the day? Any trouble with neds just now?

I'd be going through around 7am in the morning and back again at 4.30pm in the afternoon, so hoping this is outside peak ned time!

Thanks,

Chunky

Hello Chunky, I hope you are still here.

Anyway, I have been using the tunnel quite a few times recently, and all seems ok.
What they now have is automated gates at the entrances, and you need to press an intercom button for the gates to open. It can be quite eerie as the person controlling the gates often doesn't speak, so the gates seem to have a life of their own.

I wouldn't say the tunnel is all that bad, and I have also walked through it several times too - rarely have I never seen anyone else using the tunnel at the same time as me.

All I can say is GO FOR IT!

Top Bottom