Glasgow clyde cycle tunnel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
Magnatom, Marco email address is: Marco.Bardelli@glasgow.gov.uk.I'm going to follow Joseph's advice and lodge a complaint, as my last email to Marco came back with a "Out of Office" reply.

killiekosmos

Veteran
Why not make a Freedom of Information request, which must be answered?

"All information about the upgrade to the cycle lanes in the Clyde tunnel, to include, plans, funding information, risk assessments, consultations, complaints and complements, delays, snags and any revised plans or funding"?

killiekosmos said:
Why not make a Freedom of Information request, which must be answered?

"All information about the upgrade to the cycle lanes in the Clyde tunnel, to include, plans, funding information, risk assessments, consultations, complaints and complements, delays, snags and any revised plans or funding"?

That's an exellent idea. I don't actually live within the council boundary any more. Does someone else within it want to do this? It looks easy on the website.

I'd still quite like to contact them directly. Especially as I have video evidence of the dangers.

killiekosmos

Veteran
magnatom said:
That's an exellent idea. I don't actually live within the council boundary any more. Does someone else within it want to do this? It looks easy on the website.

I'd still quite like to contact them directly. Especially as I have video evidence of the dangers.

Anyone can make an FoI request, does not matter where you live. You can also use email.

OP
OP
J

Joseph

magnatom said:
Fair enough. I'll try that then.

You'll have noticed I moved then!?:ohmy:

I thought you were just taking a really long detour into work :cry: I thought I'd sent you a congrats email (I certainly meant to!), but glad you found a new place, and just in time :-)

I've actually not been using the tunnel much lately (I've spent the majority of this year so far in Japan), and I'll be back in the UK next week but now in an office off St Enoch square. Looking forward to getting back on the bike, though not sure what route to take - anniesland cross -> city centre doesn't look to have any really fun routes (unless you like jumping red lights).

I can make the FoI request if wanted?

Also, please be cautious about suggestions made to the council about the tunnel being dangerous - there's 3 likely outcomes ('danger' is likely to invoke a lovely "H&S risk assessment"):

1. they open up the other tunnel instantly (unlikely?)
  2. they put up warning signs at both ends "Two way cycle path - use caution, go SLOW" (which would be incredibly sensible)
  3. They block off the cycle part of the open tunnel, hence completely removing the danger (my fear)
To be honest, it surprises me that a pedestrian hasn't yet been injured by a cyclist at one of the curves on the descent. Human instinct is to walk in the widest part, and the signing indicated that part is for cycles (only) is pretty much non-existent.

Joseph I didn't get an e-mail from you. :wacko:;)

If you could make the FOI request that would be great and I will attack them from the other angle! :tongue:

I know what you mean about pedestrians. I have considered on occasion saying something when they are on the cyclepath, but as you said, it is so badly signposted, that it isn't necessarily their fault.

OP
OP
J

Joseph

Freedom of information request is in (sorry for the delay, been travelling).

BentMikey> do you mean both sides of a tunnel, or both tunnels?

Pedestrians are allowed to walk in both ways in both tunnels. Each tunnel has a pedestrian lane and a [usually one way] cycle lane, which are separated by a good solid metal barrier. From the design, it appears to me to be the intention that pedestrians should only use the pedestrian area, where they are well protected from any cyclists.

Joseph said:
Freedom of information request is in (sorry for the delay, been travelling).

BentMikey> do you mean both sides of a tunnel, or both tunnels?

Good man. I completely forgot about this, but I have just contacted the council via the web page asking for clarification and discussing the issue of two way cyclists.

I let you know if I get a response.

I hope you had a nice trip Joseph! ;)

BentMikey said:
My comment was meant generally for shared paths where there's a delineated cycle lane.

Aye the Clyde Tunnel is a slightly unusual case, where it is in everyones interests to keep pedestrians and cyclists apart. The lack of signs, and the fact that the barrier is broken in places doesn't help and you need to expect the odd ped on the path.

MarchWithOneill

just read the 8 pages of this thread with interest as i live in paisley and will be doing a commute to hyndland by bicycle a few times a week.

I'd been all set just to cycle out paisley road west and cross the river at the science centre but this route will be the quickest way for me if it is viable.

i'll be starting work at 7.30am so by going this way i need to make sure that the tunnel is always open- has anyone had experiences of turning up and getting no reply on the intercom? I ask this as if i cannot get access by the time i retrace my steps and get to the next nearest crossing i will be late for work.

Also where exactly do i access the northbound tunnel and where does it bring me out- is it on Balshagray Avenue that i come out? I'll be up that way at the weekend (scotstoun) so i might take a walk over to have a look at the tunnel entrances and exits that i'll be using.

thanks all

Top Bottom