Glasgow clyde cycle tunnel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Joseph

It seemed much smoother this morning, though a bit of a PITA having to stop and restart on the uphill section to get through the gate; I'll put yesterday down to teething troubles :laugh:

Joseph said:
It seemed much smoother this morning, though a bit of a PITA having to stop and restart on the uphill section to get through the gate; I'll put yesterday down to teething troubles :laugh:

Aye, I'm reserving judgment on it. What annoys me the most is the fact that the entrance is on the pedestrian walkway, so you need to scuttle across to press the button and get on the path, and back off at the other end.

I'll put a video up when I get a chance to see what others think.

OP
OP
J

Joseph

Got a response from the council:

"The installation of the controlled access system to the southbound cycle tunnel is complete except for some signs and some minor snagging work. It was opened for use on Tuesday 17th March. I'm sorry that the work took a bit longer than envisaged and that no doubt you were inconvenienced for that time.
The work will continue over the coming months to repaint the tunnels to further improve the experience of using the tunnel. I am really hopeful that the system will prevent the loitering, graffiti and other anti-social behaviour that has become the norm at certain times in the cycle tunnels and that the number of people using the cycle/pedestrian tunnel will increase with time. It is my intention to install an identical system in the northbound tunnel but this depends on getting finance confirmed over the next few weeks.

Please be aware that until we get the full signage in place that at a glance the gates may seem locked. This is not the case - the lock bolts are merely locked back in the open position and you should approach the gates and press the button on the stainless steel box. this will put you in voice contact with the control room who will see you on cctv and activate the gate opening mechanism. Any user feedback is welcome!

If you require further information please feel free to email me directly.

Many thanks for your interest and patience."

I wonder if there's any forum around that has a more cyclists that uses the clyde tunnel in? (Is anyone lurking here that does? :smile: ) It seems like it'd be useful if there was a good forum for people to interact with the council on issues like that...

OK guys, here is the video of the new entry and exit system. Compare it to one of my previous tunnel videos.

Joseph, I was planning on adding something on my blog about this and letting the folk at gobike know about it. I think there are a few tunnel users in gobike. I'll sort it out over the weekend.

Bman

Guru
One way of doing it I suppose.

Pretty much how i imagined it from your description.

I still think its a little poor.

If they just had a camera at each end, and those under-road sensors (like you get at traffic lights and car park entrances) or an IR sensor to alert the people who monitor that intercom, they could open it before you get there. Or even a pass system like previously suggested.

Still, it should prevent broken glass etc.

I didnt see any mention of it, but I presume (and hope) that tunnel is a one way system? :biggrin:

Edit: So I see they already have CCTV. All they need then is a method of detecting an approaching cyclist. A simple IR heat sensor cant be that expensive

Looks a bit of a pain in the butt. Hopefully it will work smoothly and you don't find yourself stuck in the tunnel of an evening:ohmy:

lazyfatgit

how about swimming across? looks like a right faff.

what's the chances of the tunnel being kept better and more people using it?
i'm sure the neds will still congregate at the entrance and the gates will be a vandal magnet.

and i can't believe how long it's taken to fit.

maybe i'm just cynical.

OP
OP
J

Joseph

magnatom said:
OK guys, here is the video of the new entry and exit system. Compare it to one of my previous tunnel videos.

Nice! Though that's the southbound tunnel, not the northbound one :biggrin:

Joseph, I was planning on adding something on my blog about this and letting the folk at gobike know about it. I think there are a few tunnel users in gobike. I'll sort it out over the weekend.
gobike... that's a new one on me. Looks interesting though! My request to join the mailing list is pending :tongue:

OP
OP
J

Joseph

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Can you not just go for it and cycle through the road tunnel ?

I don't think there's anything to technically stop you doing this (I don't remember any 'no bikes' signs or similar).

I'd imagine it'd be a bit smelly and hence unpleasant (at least in rush hour).

It is a dual carriage way (ie. 2 lanes in each tunnel), but there's double white lines and 'stay in lane' signs all the way down, which would technically make it illegal for car drivers in the same lane as you to overtake you? (And you'd really struggle to keep above 10 mph on the way up I'd reckon)

I'm sure I do remember meeting a cyclist that had done it (given the sign posts to the cycle tunnel are, urm, "obscure" would be the polite term I think).

Top Bottom