Glasgow clyde cycle tunnel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've added an item to my blog here. I plan to send this link to the council. So feel free to leave any comments that you might want the council to read (reasonable comments of course!)

ronmac

I haven't used tunnel in a while and don't think I can manage to until about 3rd week in April. However I will give it a try about then and leave my comments here and on Magnatoms blog.
I must say I can't see the purpose of secure entry system. After all it is a public right of way (I think) and even neds will be allowed through if they don't advertise the fact they're neds at entrance. O.k. if they do anything wrong in tunnel they may get locked in but surely if they did anything wrong before then security could have been waiting for them at exit.
Whether it's allowed or not you would have to be mad to cycle through road section. The lanes are very narrow and the fumes would be horrendous.

ronmac said:
Whether it's allowed or not you would have to be mad to cycle through road section. The lanes are very narrow and the fumes would be horrendous.

I'm almost certain that it isn't allowed to cycle through the main tunnel. As you say you would have to be mad. However, it is tempting. The southbound approach is all downhill and I'd bet you could build up quite a speed heading down there and into the tunnel!

Maybe we should campaign for a tunnel car free day! :biggrin:

Just an update on this. I've had one day where I've had to pull one of the gates open (the automatic system didn't work), I've had the doors open in the wrong order on the way out, and was nearly shut in, and today the large exit gate on the cycle path (which is supposed to be locked, was wide open.

Not a great start. Teething problems perhaps...;)

Jim_Noir

It is indeed, and if one side is closed then you can use the other side.... Best of luck, that climb out the tunnel in the heat, it's like a greenhouse in there in the winter!

OP
OP
J

Joseph

The tunnel is open both sides. There are security gates on the southbound side; press the call button and wait to get in. The first/last 100m of the southbound one are newly painted too, so it looks kinda nice for a bit :biggrin:

Heatwise, it's been really rather cold down the tunnel the last few days; I guess it maintains a temperature of 18C or below due to it's underground nature, which would feel decidely chilly up until today...

OP
OP
J

Joseph

It's certainly open 24/7.

Occasionally they close one of the sides, you just have to use the other side.

Be careful at the corners; although it's always good to make sure you're able to stop within the distance you can see, be particularly mindful of it in the tunnel as you never know what you'll run into - anything from a sleeping ned lying in the mud to a left over beer bottle! A toot on a bell/horn can be a good idea.

vavavikki

what do you mean you have to use the other side if one is closed? do you know before you go in you cant get out the other side?

OP
OP
J

Joseph

Sorry, that perhaps wasn't clear.

There are in fact two tunnels - they are one-way for cyclists (unless one is closed). The south bound one is the East-most one.

So don't worry - if they close one of the tunnels, they do close both ends so you can't get in and hence use the other one :-)

CharlesF

Guru
At present, only the Southbound tunnel is open and the security access is not working, the gate is wide open and an invitation to the neds to take up residence again. During February, I asked the Council when the tunnels would be fully open and this was the reply:
Thanks for your email. I must apologise for overlooking it and not responding to you on time.

Hopefully you will have realised since you emailed that both cycle tunnels are now open and the security access system functioning on both. I’m very glad to hear that you find the new system reassuring to use.

I plan to have the southbound tunnel fully painted this year and the northbound tunnel cleaned of smoke damage and painted as well. Better signs will also be put in place to guide users. This will further improve the experience for cyclists and pedestrians using the tunnels.

I hope you continue to use the tunnel. Please email me directly if you have any further questions or comments.

Regards

Marco Bardelli
Structures Manager
Land & Environmental Services
Glasgow City Council

Not the case, and Marco hasn't come back with any other information. Looks like I will extend my commute via the squinty bridge.

That's very interesting Charles. I've been meaning to contact the council about the tunnel. Obviously something has gone wrong with the security system, or more likely money has been shifted elsewhere.

I think cyclists using the tunnel two way is a safety issue, as highlighted by this video. It could have been a lot worse.

Do you have an e-mail address for Marco?

OP
OP
J

Joseph

I've had several emails from Marco in response to complaints about the tunnel. I've also emailed him directly several times and never got any response (seems to be a bit of a persistent theme with land services...). Hence I'd recommend making contact through the complaints process (the online 'contact us' form on the council website).

Top Bottom