Glasgow clyde cycle tunnel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Joseph

Mr Pig said:
what I don't understand is this. Some Johnny two-stars will be sitting in a control room somewhere, India probably, watching his little monitor with his finger hovering over the button that opens the gate.

I'd presume they're going to block the people carrying the crates of beer and sofas into the tunnel ;)

I'd guess they'll also be keeping an eye on the tunnel itself, and anyone found applying impromptu decorations will be kept in the tunnel to await a free taxi to partick nick.

Joseph said:
I'd presume they're going to block the people carrying the crates of beer and sofas into the tunnel ;)

I'd guess they'll also be keeping an eye on the tunnel itself, and anyone found applying impromptu decorations will be kept in the tunnel to await a free taxi to partick nick.

I remember coming across a beer keg at the bottom of the tunnel. I always wondered if someone had nicked it and was taking it home, found it easy to get to the bottom and found that getting it up the other end, wasn't quite so easy!:angry:

OP
OP
J

Joseph

FWIW: had a quick chat with one of the workers (who was blocking the open cycle path with his van :biggrin: ) last week, and he reckoned the south going track would be open again around the middle of next week. Not sure how much faith I put in that info though...

OP
OP
J

Joseph

Well **** me. It is open. It just looks like it's still closed.

Basically, there were workmen in the other tunnel this morning that asked me if I could use the north bound one. "Is that open?!" says me, he says "should be"... I think "yeah, right... guess I should at least check". Cycle down... still looks bolted closed.

Then spot there is an intercom thing... press... "Can I help you?" "err, can I get in the tunnel?" (not really sure what else he was expecting he could help me with...).. then one of the small doors unlocked allowing me into a small corridor. Then at some random time later the other door opens to let you out the small corridor (and of course by the time I'm finish rattling all these and trying to move a bike backwards and forwards down a narrow sloped tunnel) I've lost my balance and got a (very slightly) grazed knee.

Inside of tunnel looks completely unchanged. I think I even went over some glass :angry:

At the exit, one door seemed to have unlocked anyway... then... not sure.. the second door kind of unlocked a bit later. Queue one more slightly grazed knee.

Not the smoothest of experiences :smile: I'd also hazard a guess it's actually been ""open"" for a while...

That's interesting Joseph, as I popped down there on Monday. I pressed the button and nothing happened for ages, eventually I heard somebody for a few seconds and then they cut off. Tried again and a while later they came back on again and said 'can you hear me...' then nothing. Tried the gate, nothing happened. I gave up and went in the other tunnel.

Have to say I'm not too impressed with the entrance system. Looks very ominous and it will be a pain to use every day. I honestly think this will reduce use of the tunnel, not increase it.

It's also not good to hear that the tunnel itself still has glass in it and is in the same state. What have they been doing for the last few months!:biggrin:

I'll try it tomorrow and video my experience.

mr_cellophane said:
So a bit like an air lock to get in and out ?

How old are these tunnels ?

You can find some tunnel facts here.:biggrin:

OP
OP
J

Joseph

magnatom said:
Have to say I'm not too impressed with the entrance system. Looks very ominous and it will be a pain to use every day. I honestly think this will reduce use of the tunnel, not increase it.

It's also not good to hear that the tunnel itself still has glass in it and is in the same state. What have they been doing for the last few months!;)

I'll try it tomorrow and video my experience.

Ah, interesting, so it's obviously only just started working in the last few days then. Bet they've not had many people going down it, it doesn't look like a public tunnel entrance!

I think there was at least 'less' glass than 'usual'...

It could well be a PITA; I was vaguely expecting that cyclists would get to use the big single gate... you know... the one that's across the cycle path...

OP
OP
J

Joseph

Downward said:
Do they have to let you out the other end ??

I'm not entirely sure.

The first door seemed to just be unlocked. The outer one wasn't... but seemed to unlock itself before they bothered to answer the intercom... so who knows ;)

Downward

Guru
Joseph said:
I'm not entirely sure.

The first door seemed to just be unlocked. The outer one wasn't... but seemed to unlock itself before they bothered to answer the intercom... so who knows ;)

Sounds a bit spooky to me.
I'd take some provisions incase you got locked in !

Top Bottom