Glasgow commute route advice needed. Blochairn to Glasgow Airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fuzzball

I am about to start commuting to work, will probably use the train to Paisley 1st until i feel confident enough that i won't be turning up to work completely knackered by the cycle.
I have had a look at the councils cycling map for Glasgow and am still not sure of the best all bike route. The Clyde tunnel isn't inspiring confidence but to cross at SECC seems to add a lot more distance. Don't trust the Renfrew ferry not to make me late! Any advice?
Claire

OP
OP
Fuzzball

Fuzzball

ps ferry not an option as i start 7am sharp

boydj

Legendary Member
I commute from Paisley to the centre of Glasgow. I'd recommend crossing the river in the centre of town and heading out along Paisley Road West, cutting down to the airport from the centre of Paisley. Paisley Road West is good for cycling - 30mph dual carriageway most of the way, with lots of parked cars and traffic calming, so plenty of room with not a lot of conflict with motorists. It's a fairly direct route too.

Joseph

I'm not sure using the glasgow council cycling maps is necessarily helping you here :-) I'm fairly certain some of the routes they suggest are the worst roads and most hilly...

boydj route sounds a fairly good suggestion.

I have done the same journey going along the river, through renfrew, but the last part is a bit hairy (abbotsinch is a single carriageway, slightly winding, national speed limit). The part alongside the river is fairly good though - it's longer, but very little traffic and very wide roads.

I don't think a route through the tunnel makes any sense unless you really really like big hills and confined spaces :-)

Top Bottom