Glasgow to Edinburgh via Canal towpath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've just noticed my profile picture was taken on the Canal, somewhere on the outskirts of Glasgow near a Screwfix? if I remember correctly.
Yes, the Big Bike at Clydebank, where the cycle route from the west end and the canal merge, on the way to Balloch.

pjd57

Veteran
Just to add my usual canal remarks.
F&C is good , the Union , Falkirk to Edinburgh isn't.

The cafe on the canal at the White House is closed for building work just now,but the workshop is still open Thursday to Monday.

Lambhill stables a mile or two along from it has a cafe and bike shop as well.

Wee bit of care negotiating Stockingfield junction and you will be fine.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thought I'd update the thread.
Ros and I had a great day yesterday on the Canals
Up with the Lark for the 6:34 train from Queen Street to Bowling and we were off. Took it steady and the weather was kind.
Lunch at the visitor centre at the Falkirk wheel and on to the end of the canal in Edinburgh before following the innocent path out to Portobello. Had to do a short detour to get the mileage up to 70 but we finished outside the Dalriada on the Prom.
Many thanks to all who offered advice.
IMG_20190523_164937.jpg

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Digging this thread up again (sorry) !
What's the current state of the canal towpath ?
Reason for asking is that I'm going to a family "event" in Edinburgh and I'm staying with my sister in Glasgow on Friday night and planning to ride across to Edinburgh on Saturday for the do.
Google Maps has given two options, one of which is the canal. I've known about this route for quite a while and it's on my "to do" list so any thoughts please ?
FWIW, I'll be riding a gravel bike with 40mm semi off-road tyres (Tufo Thundero if you're interested).
TIA !

Pat "5mph"

Hello @Andrew Br!
It has been raining heavy the last couple of nights, I think the canal will be a mud fest, especially after Falkirk.
I would take an on road route.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Digging this thread up again (sorry) !
What's the current state of the canal towpath ?
Reason for asking is that I'm going to a family "event" in Edinburgh and I'm staying with my sister in Glasgow on Friday night and planning to ride across to Edinburgh on Saturday for the do.
Google Maps has given two options, one of which is the canal. I've known about this route for quite a while and it's on my "to do" list so any thoughts please ?
FWIW, I'll be riding a gravel bike with 40mm semi off-road tyres (Tufo Thundero if you're interested).
TIA !

It's a well used route. They have the Glasgow to Edinburgh foot race usually in April each year. Where the towpath goes under the old bridges there are cobbles which can be a bit sketchy if wet, we got off and walked those but it's only a few metres. There's also a long tunnel when you leave Falkirk. It is carved out of rock and there's a constant slow drip of water, that part is a definite get off and push the bikes. it is quite dark too so a light would be useful, there's a hand rail to stop you falling in the canal. We did it on Brommies, with a gravel bike it should be a doddle.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
It's a well used route. They have the Glasgow to Edinburgh foot race usually in April each year. Where the towpath goes under the old bridges there are cobbles which can be a bit sketchy if wet, we got off and walked those but it's only a few metres. There's also a long tunnel when you leave Falkirk. It is carved out of rock and there's a constant slow drip of water, that part is a definite get off and push the bikes. it is quite dark too so a light would be useful, there's a hand rail to stop you falling in the canal. We did it on Brommies, with a gravel bike it should be a doddle.

Replying to myself after reading the post before mine. it was dry when we cycled it, I've no experience of how muddy it might get.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Naively, I'd assumed that the canal surface was either "hard pack" or cobbles, neither of which worries me.
If parts of the path are grass/earth then that's more of an issue but not, necessarily, a red light.
How quickly does the surface dry out ? Met Office weather forecast suggests light rain on Friday, none until then and none on Saturday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Naively, I'd assumed that the canal surface was either "hard pack" or cobbles, neither of which worries me.
If parts of the path as grass/earth then that's more of an issue but not, necessarily, a red light.
How quickly does the surface dry out ? Met Office weather forecast suggests light rain on Friday, none until then and none on Saturday.

It is all " Hard Pack " cobbles are under the bridges only iirc.
The long tunnel after Falkirk has to be walked and needs a torch / front light.
I first ran it solo on my 60th birthday, then ran the G2E race in 2012. Can't remember any grassy bits.

Pat "5mph"

It's raining buckets as I type.
More heavy rain forecast for Friday and light rain forecast for Saturday morning.
If parts of the path as grass/earth then that's more of an issue but not, necessarily, a red light.
It is mostly hard pack, not paved though if that's what you mean.
I rode this route 3 times, twice from Glasgow, once from Edinburgh.
You will get muddy, you probably will walk some bits, the cobbled bridge for sure.
I rode under the tunnel.
To me, the canal route all the way to Edinburgh is long, boring and tiring.
Also, expect to be slowed down at the narrow bits by lots of dog walkers and ramblers.
I would take the road ^_^

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I know nothing about the route but....

Google Maps is not to be trusted for bike routing in my opinion.

CycleTravel is far, far superior.

As well as superior (and more reliable) routing it offers Street View and photos.
An Android app is being tested, an iphone app has been out for almost a year.

Thanks for the tip, that's a web-site that I wasn't familiar with.
Having said that, it's sent me over pretty much the same route as Google Maps and Strava.
I think they're trying to tell me something...........

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
It's raining buckets as I type.
More heavy rain forecast for Friday and light rain forecast for Saturday morning.

It is mostly hard pack, not paved though if that's what you mean.
I rode this route 3 times, twice from Glasgow, once from Edinburgh.
You will get muddy, you probably will walk some bits, the cobbled bridge for sure.
I rode under the tunnel.
To me, the canal route all the way to Edinburgh is long, boring and tiring.
Also, expect to be slowed down at the narrow bits by lots of dog walkers and ramblers.
I would take the road ^_^
Hhhhmm.
Most of the canals in MCR have paved surfaces which is why I use them (being traffic free is another reason).
If it's going to be a mud-fest I'll plot a road route.

I'll let you know how I get on !

Top Bottom