Glasgow to Edinburgh via Canal towpath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Apologies for the delay in replying.
I decided to take the road rather than the canal route based on what I learned both here and elsewhere.

Getting out of Glasgow wasn't fun and the route was, frankly, rubbish until I got near to Coatbridge when I could go off road.
That part of the route was mostly excellent; the one exception was a part of the track fairly near to where I joined it that was so soft that the bike bogged and I nearly fell off. Only wide tyres and momentum got me through upright. I'd like to say it was skill but I know it wasn't....

After a coffee at Airdrie, I looked at the maps and then thought that I might bail at Bathgate and get the train into Edinburgh.
The route from Airdrie to Bathgate was really, really good; mostly traffic free and good views as the track followed the railway. I understand that the cycle way used to be on the railway track bed until it was reinstated. I'm glad they put the cycle track in when they re-opened the railway to trains.

I think that I was unlucky that I was riding into a head wind and time constraints plus a painful left knee (don't know, it's gone now) decided me in favour of the Bathgate bail option.
So, unfinished business. I'm particularly attracted to riding the canal route and, hopefully, I'll do it in good weather and mid-week when it should be quieter.

Sixmile

Veteran
We rode Edinburgh to Glasgow along the canal on our fully loaded Circe Tandem (me, child stoker & little sister on the rear rack) including our overnight bags and bike bags for the airplane at either end.

That was a great little trip, one I'd do again in a heartbeat although some of the aquaducts are high! Don't look down :laugh:

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
We rode Edinburgh to Glasgow along the canal on our fully loaded Circe Tandem (me, child stoker & little sister on the rear rack) including our overnight bags and bike bags for the airplane at either end.

That was a great little trip, one I'd do again in a heartbeat although some of the aquaducts are high! Don't look down :laugh:

How was the prevailing wind? I remember having quite a strong wind pushing us toward Edinburgh in the latter stages when my wife and I cycled it in 2019. How the years fly by, I'll be 75 in May and looking for a suitable challenge to undertake on the day.

In a little over two weeks time my wife and I are planning to take our Bromptons up to Glasgow and cycle from Bowling Basin along the canal towpaths to Edinburgh.

I am familiar with parts of the route but have never cycled on it, my last trip being five years ago.
I'd be grateful if anyone with recent experience could advise on the current condition of the towpaths and any particular hazards that we might encounter.

Are you in CylcingUK? There's a 2 page write up of it in this month's newsletter.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Are you in CylcingUK? There's a 2 page write up of it in this month's newsletter.

Thanks very much for letting me know.I think we cancelled our membership this year. I sort of got hooked on the Edinburgh / Glasgow canals when I discovered the Canal basin while visiting our daughter who was living in Edinburgh city centre at the time.
I was a bit of a runner back then so on our next visit I ran Edinburgh to Linlithgow and got the train back. I then ran Glasgow to Edinburgh on my 60th Birthday as it was ~ 60 miles and it seemed like a good idea. A couple of years later I took part in the Glasgow to Edinburgh race from Ruchill Park in Glasgow to the Canal basin in Edinburgh. The years were rolling on and I could no longer run that distance, but I worked out that Bowling Basin to Linlithgow was 65km so I ran that on my 65th birthday. ( it turned out nearer 70k ) My 70th saw Mrs Tenkaykec cycle Bowling Basin to Edinburgh and on to Portobello to get my 70 miles in. As I said, 75 next May, I'll have another look at the possibilities 🤔

Thanks very much for letting me know.I think we cancelled our membership this year. I sort of got hooked on the Edinburgh / Glasgow canals when I discovered the Canal basin while visiting our daughter who was living in Edinburgh city centre at the time.
I was a bit of a runner back then so on our next visit I ran Edinburgh to Linlithgow and got the train back. I then ran Glasgow to Edinburgh on my 60th Birthday as it was ~ 60 miles and it seemed like a good idea. A couple of years later I took part in the Glasgow to Edinburgh race from Ruchill Park in Glasgow to the Canal basin in Edinburgh. The years were rolling on and I could no longer run that distance, but I worked out that Bowling Basin to Linlithgow was 65km so I ran that on my 65th birthday. ( it turned out nearer 70k ) My 70th saw Mrs Tenkaykec cycle Bowling Basin to Edinburgh and on to Portobello to get my 70 miles in. As I said, 75 next May, I'll have another look at the possibilities 🤔

Sounds good, I wouldn't be able to run it though! I do want to do this route next year when Scotland (and the rest of the UK) is not underwater.

I took these BTW Don't know if I breaking any CyclingUK rules lol

IMG-20231023-200939-239.jpg

IMG-20231023-200955-990.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20231023-200939-239.jpg
    IMG-20231023-200939-239.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 3

Sixmile

Veteran
Sounds good, I wouldn't be able to run it though! I do want to do this route next year when Scotland (and the rest of the UK) is not underwater.

I took these BTW Don't know if I breaking any CyclingUK rules lol

View attachment 711049

View attachment 711048

That evokes some great memories for us. Although we went the opposite direction, we hit all those landmarks.

We flew into Edinburgh airport, built the tandem up and cycled down the road to the zoo for a full days walking. That's what's great about Edinburgh (and Glasgow) is that the airport is so close to the city - I think 5 miles at most. After the zoo we checked in at our hotel in the city centre and had what my daughter still regards as the best chicken goujons she's ever had. Still talks about them.

Next day Edinburgh to Linlithgow. What a stunning little village with a great walk around the lake (of course we cycled it..) and a cracking fish and chip shop - you may start seeing what powers our adventures..

Next day Linlithgow to Cumbernauld via the Falkirk Wheel and Kelpies, two attractions worth the trip alone. We ended up with 25 degree heat which helped it feel like proper holidays.

Last day Cumbernauld to Glasgow to catch the plane home was just as pleasant as I think we'd a tail wind most of our trip. It certainly wasn't in our faces and it remains one of my favourite ever mini tours. If there is anyone or any family thinking about what to plan next, I'd certainly recommend it even if, like us, you live a few hundred miles away!

Slick

Guru
That evokes some great memories for us. Although we went the opposite direction, we hit all those landmarks.

We flew into Edinburgh airport, built the tandem up and cycled down the road to the zoo for a full days walking. That's what's great about Edinburgh (and Glasgow) is that the airport is so close to the city - I think 5 miles at most. After the zoo we checked in at our hotel in the city centre and had what my daughter still regards as the best chicken goujons she's ever had. Still talks about them.

Next day Edinburgh to Linlithgow. What a stunning little village with a great walk around the lake (of course we cycled it..) and a cracking fish and chip shop - you may start seeing what powers our adventures..

Next day Linlithgow to Cumbernauld via the Falkirk Wheel and Kelpies, two attractions worth the trip alone. We ended up with 25 degree heat which helped it feel like proper holidays.

Last day Cumbernauld to Glasgow to catch the plane home was just as pleasant as I think we'd a tail wind most of our trip. It certainly wasn't in our faces and it remains one of my favourite ever mini tours. If there is anyone or any family thinking about what to plan next, I'd certainly recommend it even if, like us, you live a few hundred miles away!

Sometimes I feel when you are local, you forget what you have on your doorstep.

Thanks.

Top Bottom