Glasgow to Loch Lomond cycle route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I last did this route about 12 years ago when I lived in Glasgow. Back then my preference was to do it on my mountain bike with the big knobbly tyres due to broken glass etc on the route.

Mrs Slioch and I are going to be in Glasgow this weekend and, in an act of unprecedented generosity, Mrs S has granted me some time off for good behaviour on Saturday. I suspect though that this is because she wants me out of the way so she can get hammered with her mates up the Byres Road (if anybody bumps into a group of smartly dressed but very loud middle aged women in Jinty's at around 4pm, I would give them a wide berth for your own safety :laugh:).

Anyway, the point is I will be taking a bike up with me, but which one? Mountain bike with knobbly tyres, or road bike with skinnies?

Can anyone who's done this route recently give me a steer please?

Cheers

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you're planning on using the Sustrans route, i.e. the former railway line to Dumbarton then the riverside path to Balloch, then...... Personally I would go with the MTB, but it is possible with the roadie. The tarmac path to Dumbarton is a bit rough because of tree roots breaking through in places, and a Saturday means a high chance of broken glass from the Friday night bevvy merchants disposing of their Buckie bottles in traditional fashion.

From Dumbarton, if my memory serves me well, there are some unpaved sections (passing under the A82 for starters). They can be muddy in the unlikely event of recent rain ^_^. Good luck; hope you get a decent day. Post it up on CC informal rides if you want some of the local guys to join you. As per usual I don't know if I'll be working or not (translate as - if it's raining I have my excuse ready :thumbsup:).

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Thanks Brandane.

Yes, it's the Sustrans route I'll be on. Sounds like the behaviour of the local "wildlife" hasn't changed much then since I moved south. So long as it's only glass on the ground that I'm having to dodge and not bottles flying through the air as happened once :angry:. We used to refer to them as "Trekkies", as in "it's life Jim, but not as we know it" :laugh:.

Sounds like the MTB will be the sensible option so I'll bring that.

Good thought about putting it up on informal rides. If I can get my act in gear and work out my schedule I might just do that.

lesley_x

Über Member
I did Balloch to Loch Lomond (NCN 7 I think) on my road bike about 3 weeks ago and the surface was excellent but loads of wet leaves in areas.

Do-able on road bike if you aren't afraid of wet leaves!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, take the mb, route is very muddy at the moment too. After Dumbarton there is high chance of cow poo when you go along the river Leven.
There is actually a much nicer route from Glasgow to Balloch, we did it last year as a CCEcosse ride. The route is by @Rasmus, goes from the SECC, across Kelvingrove park, via the Queen's view, so mostly on road.
Hold on a few minutes, I'll unearth the Garmin file.

Pat "5mph"

Yes, take the mb, route is very muddy at the moment too. After Dumbarton there is high chance of cow poo when you go along the river Leven.
There is actually a much nicer route from Glasgow to Balloch, we did it last year as a CCEcosse ride. The route is by @Rasmus, goes from the SECC, across Kelvingrove park, via the Queen's view, so mostly on road.
Hold on a few minutes, I'll unearth the Garmin file.
Here is the link to the original thread.

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
We're pretty hard here in Yorkshire so wet leaves don't scare me, however cow poo is on a higher level of nastiness entirely and I am not prepared to put my nice road bike through that!

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Thanks for that Pat 5mph. That's got me thinking now. A circular route would be better than an "out and back" on the Sustrans route, and the views from the road north past the Queens View are well worth the extra effort of the hills (providing the mist isn't down of course!).

So with 50% of the ride being on road, I would be better off on the road bike than on the MTB knobblies, but will have to be extra careful around the cow poo.

Road bike or MTB. Road bike or MTB. Dilemma time :wacko:

Pat "5mph"

Road bike or MTB. Road bike or MTB. Dilemma time
Whatever bike you end up taking will need a good wash after the ride :laugh:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
+1 to the recommendation of heading out over Queens View. It's a much more rewarding ride, although you do have a slightly annoying amount of traffic up through Bearsden. If you don't like the looks of the paths on the way back, there's roads alongside all the way, and they're not too unpleasant. In particular, hopping onto the road between Renton and Dumbarton will avoid the worst chances of mud and cow droppings. The worst section for "ned droppings" is between Partick and Yoker.

Twilkes

Guru
Old thread, but when I did the Glasgow to Loch Lomond cycle path a couple of times a few years ago there was one part just before Clydebank (?) that was closed off and we had to go up steps, cross the road then back down steps the other side. Does anyone know if that bit has re-opened, i.e. is it a smooth ride the whole way?

Taking a 16kg toddler on a bike seat this time so don't fancy carrying him on a bike up a staircase. :smile:

Pat "5mph"

Old thread, but when I did the Glasgow to Loch Lomond cycle path a couple of times a few years ago there was one part just before Clydebank (?) that was closed off and we had to go up steps, cross the road then back down steps the other side. Does anyone know if that bit has re-opened, i.e. is it a smooth ride the whole way?

Taking a 16kg toddler on a bike seat this time so don't fancy carrying him on a bike up a staircase. :smile:
If you take the segregated route from Bell's bridge (via transport museum, Glasgow Harbour, Scotstoun, Clydebank) it's a smooth ride all the way.
At the moment, there are some works on the pavement just before Glasgow Harbour, but the cycle path is still operational, there is an attendant at the works gates that signals if the way is clear.
You might have to dismount the toddler at the gates in the cow field mentioned above.

If you do the first stretch to Clydebank via Kelvingrove and the Forth and Clyde, mind there are several sharp steep inclines, plus you will have to go down a steep (can be slippery) exit into a road, then change up to rejoin the canal.
I much prefer the Scotstoun path.

Top Bottom