Glasses . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frog

Fantaxtic invention! People with less that perfect vision can see clearly. Opens up a new life for the user. Just considering the skill and craftsmanship which goes into each lens and frame makes the mind boggle. Aren't we humans so clever and inventive.

Yep! Glasses, bloody marvelous things. Work so much better when you don't leave them on the bedside table 15 miles away from where I'm sitting now :ohmy:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I got into work late this morning as I spent half an hour looking for mine. I eventually found them - under the quilt!!! How on earth did they get there?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I keep an old pair in my desk, have a pair I carry to and from work each day, have a pair at home, and also sighted cycling glasses, but would look a bit of a t1t walking round in cycling glasses all day.

Just in case.....can't see without them...

OP
OP
F

frog

Not bad so far.

Tripped over a step I knew was right in front of me. Just thought it was a bit further away.

Two near misses with doors.

Can't wait for lunch time. I can just see me tipping my nosh down the front of my clothes

Bit of a walking cats-arse-to-fry at the moment. :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
Just bought some replacement specs at the w/e...specsavers have got a good deal on at the mo. The price you see* is the price you pay, and get a 2nd pair for free as long as it's the same price or less.

* assuming you can see the price.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Sounds nasty!
My problem with glasses is that one eye is all over the place (short sight, heavy astigmatism) where the other eye is bang-on. So I've got glasses, but if I don't wear them it's not too much of a problem. I did try a contact lens once, but it was very hard getting used to a lens in one eye and not in the other!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Maz said:
Just bought some replacement specs at the w/e...specsavers have got a good deal on at the mo. The price you see* is the price you pay, and get a 2nd pair for free as long as it's the same price or less.

* assuming you can see the price.

LOL! Very good.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy in Sig said:
I got into work late this morning as I spent half an hour looking for mine. I eventually found them - under the quilt!!! How on earth did they get there?

Friend of mine heard a story from her husband, away at a conference about a chap who got very drunk one night and next morning had to grope his way down to breakfast because he couldn't find his glasses. After breakfast he went back up to pack, it being the last day, and found his glasses - he'd carefully hung them from a coathanger, in the wardrobe....:biggrin:

mondobongo

Über Member
Thanks for reminding me to get my spare glasses out of the car to go in my commuting bag. Otherwise wont be able to see the wheel never mind the winning no.

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
Sounds nasty!
My problem with glasses is that one eye is all over the place (short sight, heavy astigmatism) where the other eye is bang-on. So I've got glasses, but if I don't wear them it's not too much of a problem. I did try a contact lens once, but it was very hard getting used to a lens in one eye and not in the other!

My Mum is virtually blind in one eye, always has been. Before it was discovered in an eye test when she started school, she assumed it was meant to be like that - one eye to see out of, one to balance it on your face...

NickM

Veteran
I used to love doing bicycle maintenance, but the deterioration in my eyesight with the passage of time has made it a bit of a bind... glasse on, glasses off, where did I leave my glasses... gets old very soon :smile:

A free plug here for the excellent Glasses Direct :thumbsup: Never again will I pay £300+ for a pair of specs, just so that the optician can disappear behind a curtain to "adjust the fit" (translates as "bend the arms").

Pete

I'd soon notice if ever I left house without, whether on foot, two wheels, or four!

I also got one of the special deals from specsavers (in my case it was something like "3-for-1½" ) but I've had theirs and also ones from an independent, more expensive optician. I think the build quality on the independent ones is far better. You gets what you pays for...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
fossyant said:
I keep an old pair in my desk, have a pair I carry to and from work each day, have a pair at home, and also sighted cycling glasses, but would look a bit of a t1t walking round in cycling glasses all day.
Yes, no need to make a spectacle of yourself. :blush:

NickM

Veteran
Pete said:
I think the build quality on the independent ones is far better. You gets what you pays for...
There is no detectable difference between the "designer" job from a high street optician and the glassesdirect replacements I now wear. Well, except for about £250 still in my pocket this time round...

Top Bottom