gleaming chain

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Funk-Meister, 3 May 2010.

1. Funk-Meister

Funk-Meister New Member

i've removed my chain, is there something recommended to soak it in to give it a good clean prior to returning it to the bike. Its been on my bike for 1 1/2 yrs.

Thanx in anticipation

2. Garz

Garz Squat Member

White spirits.

Make sure you re-lube after on the rollers.

3. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

I'm a great fan of the "Mickle Method". Simply apply your choice of lube in a liberal fashion, then wipe chain thoroughly with a cloth. Repeat this operation until you are satisfied with the result. It may take four or five applications but it works a treat without washing out lube from the rollers.

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

New chain mate.......... wipe clean method for me on all my 4 bikes.. MTB, FIXED, and Road...........

5. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

Aagh, definitely not! You'll end up with a stripped chain with no lubrication inside, where it matters. Go for the Mickle Method.

6. MajorMantra

MajorMantra Well-Known Member

Have you checked it for stretch? You may need a new chain anyway.

7. al78

al78 Veteran

No you won't. Clean the chain when you are not going to be using the bike for a few hours and then leave the lube to soak in for a few hours after application (ideally overnight). Alternatively, rotate two chains and store one in a tub of chainsaw oil whilst the other is on the bike.

The Mickle method gets the outside of the chain clean but does little to shift any grit that has worked its way inside the rollers, so it will just turn into a grinding paste the moment you apply lube.

8. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

Hmm. You get a minimal amount of extra life out of the chain for a huge amount of extra work and mess. Not worth it IME.

Just keep the chain on the bike like normal people.

9. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

:biggrin: tee hee!

Mickle it

10. Garz

Garz Squat Member

Bull..

I was waiting for someone to join my side of the fence on this. Id hardly call it 'huge amount of extra work' using my chain pliers on a power link takes what a second?

soak chain for few hours then wipe dry, let rest evaporate and most importantly re-apply decent lube. Wipe excess off just before next ride.

11. al78

al78 Veteran

Eh?

Wipe outside of chain - 10 seconds
    Removal of chain using powerlink - 5 seconds
    put chain in plastic container, submerge in white spirit, put lid on and agitate vigorously - 45 seconds
    remove chain, wipe dry with kitchen towell and hang up to dry - 1 hour, but can get on with cleaning rest of bike and doing a proper job of cleaning the drivetrain now the chain is off the bike.

Putting chain back on and lubing - 1 minute

Hardly a huge amount of extra work and very little mess.

12. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

Clean in petrol, allow to dry off, then soak in "Hot" chainsaw oil, don't remove chain from oil till all cooled down. wipe down with cloth and refit. result = chain like new.

Alternative, instead of spending a couple of hours mucking about with chain, petrol, oil and heaters. Do an hours overtime at work get LBS to fit new chain, result = more money in pocket and more time to spend riding bike.

For some reason that i fail to understand I go for the first solution:wacko:

13. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

28 years of chain cleaning by every single method mentioned above (and more) has convinced me that the Mickle method is just peachy. No mess, no solvents no fuss, and just as much (I'm certain more) life than using solvent based methods.
    Wet-wipes do a good job getting the crud off too.

14. NickM

NickM Veteran

Aha! After a similarly long and varied chain cleaning career, I may have learned something I didn't know ;)

15. Mista Preston

Mista Preston Veteran

yep the wet wipes first then a bit of mickling !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice