gleaming chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funk-Meister

i've removed my chain, is there something recommended to soak it in to give it a good clean prior to returning it to the bike. Its been on my bike for 1 1/2 yrs.

Thanx in anticipation

Garz

Squat Member
White spirits.

Make sure you re-lube after on the rollers.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I'm a great fan of the "Mickle Method". Simply apply your choice of lube in a liberal fashion, then wipe chain thoroughly with a cloth. Repeat this operation until you are satisfied with the result. It may take four or five applications but it works a treat without washing out lube from the rollers.

ASC1951

Guru
Garz said:
White spirits.

Make sure you re-lube after on the rollers.
Aagh, definitely not! You'll end up with a stripped chain with no lubrication inside, where it matters. Go for the Mickle Method.

al78

Guru
ASC1951 said:
Aagh, definitely not! You'll end up with a stripped chain with no lubrication inside, where it matters.

No you won't. Clean the chain when you are not going to be using the bike for a few hours and then leave the lube to soak in for a few hours after application (ideally overnight). Alternatively, rotate two chains and store one in a tub of chainsaw oil whilst the other is on the bike.

The Mickle method gets the outside of the chain clean but does little to shift any grit that has worked its way inside the rollers, so it will just turn into a grinding paste the moment you apply lube.

ASC1951

Guru
al78 said:
Clean the chain when you are not going to be using the bike for a few hours and then leave the lube to soak in for a few hours after application (ideally overnight). Alternatively, rotate two chains and store one in a tub of chainsaw oil whilst the other is on the bike.
Hmm. You get a minimal amount of extra life out of the chain for a huge amount of extra work and mess. Not worth it IME.

Just keep the chain on the bike like normal people.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
ASC1951 said:

:biggrin: tee hee!

Mickle it

Garz

Squat Member
ASC1951 said:
Hmm. You get a minimal amount of extra life out of the chain for a huge amount of extra work and mess. Not worth it IME.

Bull..

I was waiting for someone to join my side of the fence on this. Id hardly call it 'huge amount of extra work' using my chain pliers on a power link takes what a second?

soak chain for few hours then wipe dry, let rest evaporate and most importantly re-apply decent lube. Wipe excess off just before next ride.

al78

Guru
ASC1951 said:

Eh?

Wipe outside of chain - 10 seconds
Removal of chain using powerlink - 5 seconds
put chain in plastic container, submerge in white spirit, put lid on and agitate vigorously - 45 seconds
remove chain, wipe dry with kitchen towell and hang up to dry - 1 hour, but can get on with cleaning rest of bike and doing a proper job of cleaning the drivetrain now the chain is off the bike.

Putting chain back on and lubing - 1 minute

Hardly a huge amount of extra work and very little mess.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
28 years of chain cleaning by every single method mentioned above (and more) has convinced me that the Mickle method is just peachy. No mess, no solvents no fuss, and just as much (I'm certain more) life than using solvent based methods.
Wet-wipes do a good job getting the crud off too.

reiver said:
What are "Wet Wipes"? Are these the tissue thingies the wife carries about in her hand bag? if so, she doesn't even ride a bike:wacko:

Sorry I meant baby wipes. You can get the cheap ones for about 70p for a pack of 70 odd but I use the expensive ones that are supposed to be for wipping my one month olds a***e but I say my bike needs them more ;)

Top Bottom