Gloves-For a raynauds sufferer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

I know glove threads in the sort of weather we're having at the moment must bore most of you, but...

Does any one have any sugestions on warm gloves for someone that suffers Raynaud's disease which are thin??

I apperciate that thin and warm don't go hand in hand, but it's for the wife and we all know women what the impossible. She is new to biking, and starting to enjoy it, but is suffering in the recent cold. I have lent her my big winter biking gloves but she said that A: her hands were still cold and B: the gloves were to bulk and made changing gear hard.

So any advice on what I could look at getting for her? I'm thinking layers, but how to layer and keep the bulk down/ still have tactilaty?

gavintc

Guru
I used to suffer from very cold hands - but less so recently. I found in the winter that ski gloves were a useful alternative to cycle gloves - well padded and not too pricey. But, they are pretty well padded. An alternative, I have found is to use very thin skin tight inners under normal winter gloves. If you can get them - the 3 fingered 'lobster' gloves are warm. I bought a pair from a Canadian outdoor (MEC) shop last winter, but once again you lose some dexterity.

longers

Legendary Member
Check out your local Esso garage, mine are selling Thinsulate gloves for £2.99. I have Raynauds and these gloves kept my hands warm for my return ride tonight and no problem changing gear. If they're not suitable then you've not lost much.

Otherwise I don't know what to suggest but I did get a pair of liner gloves from a motorbike shop to fit under my now relegated Aldi gloves for colder days. I will find a link a friend sent me to a cheap on-line supplier and post it later.

Yeah I also have it. Don't tend to suffer on the bike though, used to get it walking and climbing, always wore mitts and carried one of those charcoal handwarmers but both are rather impractical for cycling.

What about something like the SealSkinz I and my wife have them. Quite tight fitting and not too bulky but the waterproof liner will eliminate any windchill which was always a factor for me. You can also put those small handwarmer packets you get for skiing in the back of the glove which will generate some extra heat. I did that recently skiing, except I put them in the palm so I could pull my fingers back into the whole glove to warm up but there wouldn't be room in the Sealskinz.

These badboys from Gore would be my reccomendation - they are pretty thin, VERY warm, but remain comfortable with sweaty hands - i only notice it when I take them off, there is none of the sliding around feeling some winter gloves have.

They don't change their degree of insulation when they get wet, which is brilliant IMO, especially compared to my last gloves.

They are bulky enough to make gear changes on STI's a bit vague, but are still pretty reasonable.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got Raynauds ... and in the normal cold weather I'm doing alright with my Specialized Wind Deflect. However I'm failing to cope with the really cold weather we are having. (Tried 2 pairs of gloves, gloves for skiers, Night Vision gloves - all failed). Taking lots of hand warmers with me, but not much good on the bike.

I'm contemplating heated gloves: http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/heated-gloves-p-686.html
they have a deluxe version but they are out of stock:
http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/de....html?osCsid=0e7c08963039b24c8f8042a1a57228b4
My main worry with both of those is how bulky they would be and my lack of being able to try it on before I buy.

(Either that or my other traditional remedy: alcohol:biggrin::biggrin:).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Your post has spurred me on and I have finally ordered a pair from:
http://www.blazewear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=182
as they have medium in stock. Nowhere has large which would of been my preferred size just to allow a bit extra room.

I will report back when they arrive what they are like and if I can cycle in them. Although by the time they arrive we will probably be in the next wet spell instead.

Heated Gloves, wow! I never knew they existed, except the motorbike type gauntlets you can get. Let us know how you get on.

on the road

Über Member
Get a pair of gloves larger then what you would normally get and wear a thin pair underneath them, that works for me.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

domtyler said:
Assos do a winter glove set that is basically three different sets that you wear on top of each other according to how cold it is. Quite pricey at about a hundred quid though.

Here you go:
http://www.awcycles.co.uk/brands/Assos/Winter System Gloves/13022/index.aspx

They look ideal. But as much as I love my wife £100 is going too far, at this stage of her biking. All I need to do is find those about 1/3 of the price.

summerdays said:
Your post has spurred me on and I have finally ordered a pair from:
http://www.blazewear.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=182
as they have medium in stock. Nowhere has large which would of been my preferred size just to allow a bit extra room.

I will report back when they arrive what they are like and if I can cycle in them. Although by the time they arrive we will probably be in the next wet spell instead.

I look forward to hearing what you think of them, I did see some heated gloves, but just felt they looked far too bulky.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I suspect they are too bulky for normal riding ... but on the days when I'm desparate, it can't be any worse than riding with no feeling in my fingers. Plus it saps your overall energy on the bike too.

Top Bottom