Gloves which are warm & waterproof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyler78

Yesterday it was absolutely tipping it down and with a very strong headwind (30mph avg if bbc is to be believed) for my whole commute home (15 miles) and my gloves, which have always been very good, failed to keep the wet out and my hands were soaked and with the effect of the wind the were frozen for those last 4 miles.

I have the Endura Strike gloves which I had seen recommended before however they just didn't cut it last night. I had them tucked under my waterproof jacket sleeve so the rain wasn't getting through there. Must say though my lighweight packable Gill waterproof jacket did a fantastic job of keeping my top half dry.

Also when we are at it about last night I ploughed straight through some flooded parts of the road as it was dark and was in them before I realised how deep some of them were. Anyway one puddle was up to my calves so I dried the chain and the rest of the bike with a rag however when I was checking my wheels to make sure they were still true when spinning the front wheel I can hear water running around which concerns me though can't work out where the noise is comming from. Is this likely to be a problem or will it dry out on it own without damage.

All in all given the conditions I was surprised how well I just got on with it rather than cursing it the whole way home. I actually quite enjoyed it believe it or not - it was kind of fun strange as that may seem.

No bike today - far too windy today and coming across me which would blow me into the rush hour traffic so not risking that. Not that hardcore.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
doyler, I don't use them for cycling, but I have a pair of Sealskinz technical gloves which are superb in the wet, and have yet to let me down. (Mine are actually equestrian gloves, bought from Horse Health of Wessex, as I recall).

Out of interest, which Gill jacket do you have? My own "waterproof" is crap, and I could do with one that works.

I've got Endura Strike gloves too and found them to be good in most circumstances however I find the lack of a devent cuff makes them poor on somedays, so before this winter I picked my self up a pair of Spesh Radiant '07 gloves. They're a bit bulkier than the Endura Strike gloves but I find them good for general commuting and those more extreme days.

Maz

Guru
I used to have a pair of those Radiant 07 gloves, HLaB. I got annoyed with them - For me they were way too bulky - too much 'dead space' at the end of the fingertips, making gear changing a bit hit n miss. Could be I had a duff pair.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have some Spesh Sub-Zero gloves, they are super warm and have an inner and outer, so if it's a bit too warm for the whole lot then you can do something about it.

biking_fox

Guru
I use the SealSkinz. I quite like them, they are fairly thin, so you can still feel details through them, and they are windproof. They are not totally waterproof, though pretty good. They are warm, but they are made of some stretchy stuff so it squeezes on your fingers slightly, which is odd to start with.

However they only come in black.
What I really want though is a pair of gloves that are of a similar size, and performance but that have reflective strips on the palm/back so you can be seen when signalling. ANyone know of some?

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Tynan said:
30mph headwind and heavy rain shouldn't happen too often hopefully

Heavy rain unfortunately is something that you can get from time to time here however that combo yesterday was exceptional with the high winds. Anyway its the waterproofing failing that concerns me more than the wind. That's something you just grin and bear whereas the soaking hands is really, really unpleasant to be kind about it.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

John the Monkey said:
Out of interest, which Gill jacket do you have? My own "waterproof" is crap, and I could do with one that works.

Its an el cheapo compared to the prices of other waterproofs however it has rarely let anything in and even when it does it is very little and usually because i haven't pulled the chords at the neck tight enough. Anyway here it is:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360026017

Top Bottom