Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James Blackwell

I commute most days between Filton and Clevedon, I have a helmet, two lights front and back, one fixed, one flashing, Reflective top that goes over everything including my bag, reflectors, reflective over shoes.

After the 18 miles the last manoeuvre I have to do is turn right off a main road into a side road, this involves a turning lane. I hate this as it relies on me indicating and then moving across the main flow of traffic. Mostly I wait until there is a good gap in the traffic before attempting the turn.

Being as it about 6:30pm by the time I get home its dark, so last night when I did the manoeuvre as normal, I signaled, then seeing the traffic was either not there (or as last night) it was far enough back that I could move without interfering I moved over. The car that was the first to come along side slowed down and shouted "Get some bloody gloves we can see you signalling with".

Does anyone have gloves that are good for signaling with? I only ask as although mine are black (but very warm) they do have reflective stripes on them as does my top along the arms. I am probably taking this too personally, but I have to say, it annoyed me.

*Rant over*

vickster

Legendary Member
If you really want bright and reflective gloves!

https://www.evanscycles.com/altura-night-vision-glove-EV152891

They may offer different weights

Or look at the proviz range?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/cycling-gloves/proviz-reflective-gloves

ACS

Legendary Member
I wear a hi-viz / reflective snap band on my right wrist. Get them for a couple of quid or ask at your LBS they may have promotional ones.

You can get them with small flashing lights built in from Tesco's, about a 5 of the HM finest. [ I think ]

Last edited:
image.jpeg

15 quid from Decatlon, warm as toast, no one is going to miss your indicating.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The motorist was basically a nobber - drivers should look out for unlit/unreflective objects and that's why they should have two working headlights - but I appreciate why you might want to comply and I don't see a big downside, unlike wearing hi-viz clothes.

I wear a hi-viz / reflective snap band on my right wrist. Get them for a couple of quid or ask at your LBS they may have promotional ones.
They're about a pound in the various cheap shops. That's my tactic when I'm wearing dark gloves with no white on them.

Some of that clear spray on stuff Halfords are selling, dries clear, goes reflective in at night?
Wouldn't it still wash off in rain?

OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

Cheers all,
The guy was a knob. I do my best to be seen and be considerate. I didn't swerve in front of him, it was clear, he had to slow down to shout at me, not to avoid me!

But I do hate that turning hence the question. Sometimes I can signal, even in pure daylight and no-one lets me pull across so I end up getting off my bike and crossing as a pedestrian.

Odd though, that when there is no light, doesnt matter what colour you wear, there is no light to reflect off and show the colour, so doesnt matter if the gloves are white, yellow, black, at night they are all hard to see.

Like the idea of the strips with LEDs in them.

OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I own a pair of the Proviz gloves. Theyre ok for anything above 10 degrees Celcius, and as absorbent as a sponge. They colour is unlike the image, as it is more of a Yellow/Green shade.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The black version of the Evans ones are the ones I basically have (just a different make) Ended up with black as at the time, they were the only ones in my size.
You've something like a Night Vision in black? Then it's got reflective detail on the back (painfully bright if it's like the Night Vision trousers), he should have seen it, he should fix his headlights or get his eyes tested and you can ignore him with my blessing.

Top Bottom