Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuickDraw

This is not a discussion about how best to keep my fingers warm on frosty mornings.

This monring I had only my 2nd fall as an adult. The first time I went round a bend too fast in the wet. This time turning right at a roundabout not going fast but fast enough to lean a little, all of a sudden I'm horizontal and sliding along the tarmac. It turns out someone had left a glove in the middle of the road and that's all it took to take me down.

I've got grazes on my elbow and hip but no serious damage, to me at least. The bike is totally f*cked though. Somehow the gear hanger snapped in 2 and took part of the frame with it. I only noticed this when I tried to pedal away and the derailleur ended up on top of the cassette and jammed in the spokes. I only just avoided 2 falls in as many minutes. No idea how this could have happened with just a simple slide.

That's all I wanted to say. I feel better now. Thanks for listening and look out for those stray gloves.

OP
OP
Q

QuickDraw

This is not a discussion about how best to keep my fingers warm on frosty mornings.

This monring I had only my 2nd fall as an adult. The first time I went round a bend too fast in the wet. This time turning right at a roundabout not going fast but fast enough to lean a little, all of a sudden I'm horizontal and sliding along the tarmac. It turns out someone had left a glove in the middle of the road and that's all it took to take me down.

I've got grazes on my elbow and hip but no serious damage, to me at least. The bike is totally f*cked though. Somehow the gear hanger snapped in 2 and took part of the frame with it. I only noticed this when I tried to pedal away and the derailleur ended up on top of the cassette and jammed in the spokes. I only just avoided 2 falls in as many minutes. No idea how this could have happened with just a simple slide.

That's all I wanted to say. I feel better now. Thanks for listening and look out for those stray gloves.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You were lucky to get away with that on a roundabout. Debris on the roads is a real hazard especially when it's damp. I braked too hard on a white line the other day and nearly came a cropper. It makes you more cautious for a while until you become complacent again!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You were lucky to get away with that on a roundabout. Debris on the roads is a real hazard especially when it's damp. I braked too hard on a white line the other day and nearly came a cropper. It makes you more cautious for a while until you become complacent again!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OW - new frame then....check the house insurance to see if you are covered....

Must have been an awkward fall to smash the hanger off.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OW - new frame then....check the house insurance to see if you are covered....

Must have been an awkward fall to smash the hanger off.

Pete

Sorry to hear about that QD. I suppose it has to be said, lucky it's not you that's broken: bikes can be replaced, but... I once saw (someone else's) rear mech and frame trashed by a piece of paper. I jest not: merely a fragment of brown wrapping paper that somehow wrapped itself in the chain and derailleur, locked everything up and, the next pedal stroke, everything went like a corkscrew. This was before the days of detachable rear-mech hangers, but the victim later told me he'd managed to true up his frame somehow in the workshop.

Pete

Sorry to hear about that QD. I suppose it has to be said, lucky it's not you that's broken: bikes can be replaced, but... I once saw (someone else's) rear mech and frame trashed by a piece of paper. I jest not: merely a fragment of brown wrapping paper that somehow wrapped itself in the chain and derailleur, locked everything up and, the next pedal stroke, everything went like a corkscrew. This was before the days of detachable rear-mech hangers, but the victim later told me he'd managed to true up his frame somehow in the workshop.

abchandler

Not road or cycling related, but was watching the MotoGP qualifying sessions for one of the later races in the season, and one of the riders appeared to tip their bike over due to the wheel going over someone else's tear off visor strip at a crucial moment

abchandler

Not road or cycling related, but was watching the MotoGP qualifying sessions for one of the later races in the season, and one of the riders appeared to tip their bike over due to the wheel going over someone else's tear off visor strip at a crucial moment

I wondered where my glove had got to.......ooops!:blush:

Seriously though sounds like you were lucky. That could have been a lot worse. bike can be fixed....

Glad your ok!

I wondered where my glove had got to.......ooops!;)

Seriously though sounds like you were lucky. That could have been a lot worse. bike can be fixed....

Glad your ok!

Tetedelacourse

Yowch, no luck QD, glad you escaped serious injury. Let's hope the perp gets caught red-handed (due to the cold). Hope you can claim on the insurance. Were you far from work? Was it a long hobble or a taxi?

Tetedelacourse

Yowch, no luck QD, glad you escaped serious injury. Let's hope the perp gets caught red-handed (due to the cold). Hope you can claim on the insurance. Were you far from work? Was it a long hobble or a taxi?

Top Bottom