Glue guns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dug out the glue gun I bought some time ago on a whim to glue a bit of a cycling shoe sole that is still well on but showing signs of wanting to come off.
Feel free to share your glue gun fixes.
Are there particular things they are suitable for?
Particular things they are not suitable for?

sight-pin

Veteran
Used hot melt mainly for gluing my arrow piles in to stop them unscrewing and leaving the pile in the target.
Glue guns can be handy but as you say, it's not too good for shoe soles.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Actually i didn't say they aren't good for shoe soles.
I don't know - haven't tested the fix yet.
Why do you think they aren't good for that?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Worth trying on any repair - if it fails the glue can usually be peeled off.

Good for gap filling.
Not good for anything that gets hot.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My shoe sole repairs lasted long enough to be worth doing and didn't take long - ~5 minutes. That included time for the glue gun to heat up, which I spent making coffee.

The glue sticks are really cheap so having to redo a repair every now and then wasn't a big issue.

I don't think the glue is strong enough to bond an entire sole but is fine for reattaching loose bits.

Wipe off excess glue or carefully cut it off with a sharp knife.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I find the glue isn't too strong. For things like shoe repairs the best thing is contact adhesive, usually very long lasting.

sight-pin

Veteran

It didn't last well when using on my trainers etc, although i think you can obtain different types of glue sticks which could make a difference.
I also fixed the velcro plate tape on my sander that come adrift, but as yet i've not used it since to try.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Be careful. I once dropped a blob on the back of my hand between my thumb and forefinger. The natural reaction to a lump of high temperature molten plastic on your skin is to get rid of it sharpish. The result was burned fingers and a patch of skin removed from the accident site.

I bought a hot melt glue gun from Poundland ( yes a pound ). I’ve used it to glue all sorts of stuff, and it works well. It seems to work best on things that are just glued in place, and don’t get stresses and strains put on them. I’ve glued some bar plugs into the bars with it, and it seems to be working well. I’ve also glued a couple of tyre cuts, and those seem to be holding up as well. 60 glue sticks cost a pound too, that’s a result.

classic33

Leg End Member
If the sole flexes in use, it'll be no good. The glue itself isn't designed to. You'll end up repairing the repair.

We used to use it for holding the pieces in posistion, whilst the backing layer dried. You'll have seen examples of this, anytime you've walked over an entrance mat with the company name on it.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If you re-attach shoe soles with a hot glue gun, you can guarantee that they will fall off again at the most inconvenient moment. DAMHIKT.

Top Bottom