Glueing soles on cycling shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone got any recommendations for glues?

I have a few glues but they all name a list of types of plastics as a series of cap letters - and I have no idea what these mean or what my Sidi soles are made of.

On both shoes its just a bit at the heel - the shoes still ride OK but I want to catch things before they get worse.

The shoe seems to have bent away from the sole and it takes a fair amount of force to get the sole and upper to meet. Clearly I will need to clamp the things while the glue (hopefully) works but it is going to have to be a pretty strong glue to hold that tendency to bend away. And be suitable for the materials.

Glue guns/sticks have been rejected as a possible solution in another thread and am pretty sure that they won't work on this.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Cobblers! (But seriously, they have the good stuff, as it were)

...but I haven't the slightest idea if any are open - I know Timpsons aren't.

I have used gorilla glue for sole repairs. The expanding foam can get into nooks and crannies but also onto the outer surface.
OK if gorilla glue us what you have.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A good contact adhesive should do the job and what was probably used originally. Flexible enough to stand up to the rigours of cycling although a good cycle shoe shouldn't bend that much which is why @numbnuts expoxy has lasted.

Reactions: C R

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I successfully mended some walking shoes that had a similar problem Evo stick. The one where you coat the surfaces and let it dry then clamp.

But my shoes may have been made of totally different materials. So that's a somewhat useless answer.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Blue Hills
I have used gorilla glue for sole repairs. The expanding foam can get into nooks and crannies but also onto the outer surface.
OK if gorilla glue us what you have.
Is there just one sort of gorilla glue?
I have an unopened bottle (from Aldi I think) - I considered it but it doesn't mention plastic at all - stone, wood, metal, foam, glass, ceramic, and "more" but no specific mention of any sort of plastic.
It's the one where you are supposed to wet one surface.
Is this what you used?

Gorilla glue have specific advice about bonding different types of plastic but i was using it in a sole with a very roughed up waffle pattern on the glued side.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would recommend Gorilla Glue for this as well. Yes, the stuff that one wets one of the mating surfaces. Don't over-apply because it expands, and make sure the two surfaces are well gripped together for a few hours.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I would recommend Gorilla Glue for this as well. Yes, the stuff that one wets one of the mating surfaces. Don't over-apply because it expands, and make sure the two surfaces are well gripped together for a few hours.
will consider - though because of the nature of the peeling away of the two bits I don't think I could manage to wet just one surface.
Maybe I had better wait until the shoe gets worse?

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Silicone adhesive mastic. Loctite 595 is perhaps the best. Flexible is preferable to something which sets hard. I've used 595 on two pairs of (SPD) shoes where the sole was coming away at the heel. They seem to be holding together one year later.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Silicone adhesive mastic. Loctite 595 is perhaps the best. Flexible is preferable to something which sets hard. I've used 595 on two pairs of (SPD) shoes where the sole was coming away at the heel. They seem to be holding together one year later.
thanks for this nick - sounds like a posibility.
How does it keep once opened?
Am a bit fed up with returning to hardly used glues to find that they have expired/decided to glue themselves.

Top Bottom