GMP think filtering is illegal and threats of violence are ignored.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
It could all have been avoided if he'd moved left a bit and sat between the white and the black cars. The threatening driver wouldn't have had her chance to have a go at him.

Slick

Guru
It could all have been avoided if he'd moved left a bit and sat between the white and the black cars. The threatening driver wouldn't have had her chance to have a go at him.
Exactly what I think I would have done. I felt that was his only mistake, but hardly worth threatening to knock him off next time though.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Exactly what I think I would have done. I felt that was his only mistake, but hardly worth threatening to knock him off next time though.
What she said was uncalled for but it looks like it was him that instigated the confrontation, after putting himself in a daft position. I think had I been the driver I wouldn't have said that, but I might have used somewhat forceful language to express my opinion of his riding and his attitude.

Which would also be wrong of me, of course...

Slick

Guru
What she said was uncalled for but it looks like it was him that instigated the confrontation, after putting himself in a daft position. I think had I been the driver I wouldn't have said that, but I might have used somewhat forceful language to express my opinion of his riding and his attitude.

Which would also be wrong of me, of course...
Of course.

I still don't think a minor error in timing warrants her actions in refusing to let him in or the threats. Also, I think the point of the OP was that he was threatened with legal action, and we've still to figure out exactly what the charges would be?

Slick

Guru
Looks to like she instigated the confrontation and he ended it by leaving her sitting in traffic, she must have been raging.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Of course.

I still don't think a minor error in timing warrants her actions in refusing to let him in or the threats. Also, I think the point of the OP was that he was threatened with legal action, and we've still to figure out exactly what the charges would be?

Careless/dangerous cycling - he was riding into oncoming traffic in an opposing lane while clearly distracted by arguing with a driver in his own lane.

I think that falls below the definition of a careful and competent cyclist.

Slick

Guru
Careless/dangerous cycling - he was riding into oncoming traffic in an opposing lane while clearly distracted by arguing with a driver in his own lane.

I think that falls below the definition of a careful and competent cyclist.
There was no oncoming traffic though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was no oncoming traffic though.

You could argue that in front of the magistrates, but I doubt they would buy it given this took place in a busy city centre.

The overall conduct of the cyclist is careless.

It would be better if there was two lanes in his direction, she in lane one, him in lane two.

But it would still be hard to argue the cyclist was paying proper attention to his cycling given that he was clearly distracted by the argument.

Slick

Guru
You could argue that in front of the magistrates, but I doubt they would buy it given this took place in a busy city centre.

The overall conduct of the cyclist is careless.

It would be better if there was two lanes in his direction, she in lane one, him in lane two.

But it would still be hard to argue the cyclist was paying proper attention to his cycling given that he was clearly distracted by the argument.

I'm not trying to be pedantic but it's not really up to the magistrate to buy it, as it's simply a fact , there is no oncoming traffic so there is no danger and he cut her stupid venting as soon as he could.

ozboz

Guru
How is 'threat' defined? Does it have to be plausible, or do you need to have genuine fear that it may be carried out, or is just saying the words enough? Because I don't for one second believe that that driver would actually deliberately knock someone off their bike.

To my knowledge threatening to act in a way that could cause bodily harm is classed as an offence ,public order stuff , I’m sure there will be something in the legal books about it , but I’m not about to trawl the web to find out

boydj

Legendary Member
Regardless of the cyclist's positioning, the driver made threats which is an offence.

As regards the filtering, I've been through that situation many, many times and generally I've been allowed to slot in again once the traffic was moving freely, usually to get back to the inside of the lane, and always after eye-contact and a signal. Most drivers recognise that a single cyclist filtering is not going to delay their journey in any meaningful way. The rare driver would play funny buggers and I'd have to stay out there, but I can't remember any arguments about it. When filtering, you go inside or outside, depending on car positions and where the room is available. It usually takes only a couple of sets of lights to lose any drivers who show signs of being unhappy.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not trying to be pedantic but it's not really up to the magistrate to buy it, as it's simply a fact , there is no oncoming traffic so there is no danger and he cut her stupid venting as soon as he could.

It's not an absolute offence, so it is entirely up to a magistrate to buy it not.

There's no discretion in, for example, drink driving - blow over 35 and you are guilty.

Whether cycling is careless is subjective.

Put another way, if you tried the same case in front of several different panels of magistrates, you might get a mixture of results.

As regards the driver committing an offence, for making a threat to be an offence, the threat would need to be real and imminent, such that the victim fears for his personal safety.

Making the remark she did is open to interpretation.
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/commuting.6/
I wouldn't make it, but I think it's far from nailed on she would be convicted for saying what she did.

Hicky

Guru
The driver was being an arse it would have made no impact on her journey by letting the cyclist in however knowing that road area very very well the junction suffers with heavy traffic and blocking the junction which happens often causing huge amounts of frustration.
The cyclist could of used the large amounts of room to the left of the traffic as further down the rd it becomes narrow and dangerous. The comment of leave x amount of meters immediately made my spidey sense tingle(dickhead). He could of handled it much differently. I ride that area most days and the best practice is ride as though everyone’s out to get you. His riding didn’t display that and is an accident waiting to happen.
All gmp’s road officers I’ve met(I ride motorcycles too) have no issue with filtering. As long as it’s no more than 20mph quicker that other traffic and up to 40mph max, that’s straight out of two bike cops mouths.

It says it all about the police really. Woman on her phone, whilst driving, threatens cyclist with violence, cyclist sends footage to police, police have a pop at the cyclist, for arguing with the ( far more severely law breaking) woman. Utter tossers, it’s no wonder they aren’t respected.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was holding back from commenting on this one as it is a bit too close to home for impartiality and I have previous issues with GMP.

I was doubtful of the claims she was using a phone but in reality it can be clearly seen in the video when paused at the right moment so GMP should have no problem at the very least referring the offender for a driver awareness course, if they were even remotely bothered!
upload_2019-6-24_9-6-45.png

Stupid riding from the cyclist IMO. Nothing wrong with filtering but he is to blame for the incident because he failed to move into the correct lane when the time was right and continued to travel in the right-turn lane even when he was going straight across the junction. If you are going to filter that aggressively then you have to take charge, be confident, and be prepared to accept when you have got it wrong and take appropriate mitigation actions. Arguing with other road users when you are clearly in the wrong is not a good look....

On the other hand, the driver made a hash of dealing with the situation. She should be prosecuted or penalised for the phone use. I suspect the threat to 'knock him off' was intended differently but just came out wrong due to the pressure of the situation. Probably was meant more as a 'you will get run over if you keep riding like that' type comment?

Anyway, both deserve to have their heads banged together, might knock some sense into them? This kind of thing is entirely predictable considering the extreme congestion we experience on out inner city streets. The driver should certainly put the phone away and concentrate on what she is doing before she seriously hurts somebody. The cyclist needs to re-assess his need to urgently complete his journey as quickly as possible. It is no use being fast and dead!

Top Bottom