Go Faster Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
GrasB said:
I live in Cambridgeshire & we don't do proper hills here. I don't do any specific exercises for climbing yet when I hit real climbs I'm usually one of the quicker ones. So what gives? I've simply got used to pushing out a lot of power for long periods regardless of the situation. So on the flat I'll do 24mph & up a 20% incline I'll be doing 4mph, for me hills aren't harder they're just slower going up.

exactly, you have increased your power, and I am guessing a fairly low weight.

jimboalee

GrasB said:
I live in Cambridgeshire & we don't do proper hills here. I don't do any specific exercises for climbing yet when I hit real climbs I'm usually one of the quicker ones. So what gives? I've simply got used to pushing out a lot of power for long periods regardless of the situation. So on the flat I'll do 24mph & up a 20% incline I'll be doing 4mph, for me hills aren't harder they're just slower going up.

This is similar to what Sheldon Brown says.

If the gearing is suitable, a hill will feel exactly the same as riding on the flat.

If you can output 380 Watts to ride at 24 mph on the flat, you will be able to ride up a 20% at 4 mph. Only a matter of 10 watts less...:sad:

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

GrasB said:

I am fairly quick on the flat but soooo slow on a steep hill so I guess if I pushed harder still on the flat that will help. To be honest I get the feeling its going to come down to mileage more than anything. Thanks for the comment - just shows its what works for you and its down to getting out there and doing it. Ruth

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

jimboalee said:
This is similar to what Sheldon Brown says.

If the gearing is suitable, a hill will feel exactly the same as riding on the flat.

If you can output 380 Watts to ride at 24 mph on the flat, you will be able to ride up a 20% at 4 mph. Only a matter of 10 watts less...:sad:

I don't want to blame the bike because at the end of the day its down to leg power but I run out of gears.

I'm on a old steel racer with a dual chainset. I don't know how much difference a different bike would make. I get the feeling that a fit rider would be able to get up the hills on this bike so I'm going to persevere.

What do you think? Would the bike make that much difference? Ruth

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

montage said:
exactly, you have increased your power, and I am guessing a fairly low weight.

I'm not the lightest but I'm not a real porker - about 10 st 7lb and 5ft 5ins and fairly muscley. I guess every pound counts so back to the diet (maybe):sad: Ruth

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

jimboalee said:
I used to be able to do the dining table when I was sixteen.

Not now tho'.

Book yourself and your bike on a flight to Tenerife.

Ride up the mountain. Take a day's rest and ride up it again from the opposite side of the island.

I prefer going to San Francisco. They're very bike-friendly there.

Unfortunately 2 children who hate sports are going to stop me from doing that. Drat those children. R x

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

1) Practice by picking two types of hills. Firstly the loooong but not so steep type. (This should improve your speed and cardio). Secondly the short but really steep type. (This should improve your climbing ability).

2) None. Pace yourself and pick the gear which stresses you but not gasses out your muscles.

3) Yes, typically squats, lunges and core work (i.e. Plank).

Hope this helps :sad:

Yes it does thanks. I think I'm looking for a magical formula but it looks as though its down to getting out there.

I do exercises sporadically in the gym but I know its not enough. I don't like it when it hurts:smile: R x

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

I have to agree that the best way to train for hills is to actually ride them. I really struggle at times, and I firmly try remember to follow advice not to look up to see how far away the crest is.....it seems to work - just. But I don't beat myself up too much if I can't make it all the way as I know I am getting better at hills, if only very slowly.

Yes I've stopped looking for the top. I keep my head down and pedal ..... slower ..... and slower ...... and everyone flies past me .... grrrr!

Marinyork and you are right - got to get out and do hills is key.

Now I've read all the posts telling me basically to do that I feel really motivated so thanks everyone for the posts - I've slapped myself a few times and planned in hilly rides.

I keep telling myself to stop being such a girl and then I remember that I am one, (well an old one anyway.) R x:laugh:

jimboalee

RUTHIEBAV said:
1) Practice by picking two types of hills. Firstly the loooong but not so steep type. (This should improve your speed and cardio). Secondly the short but really steep type. (This should improve your climbing ability).

2) None. Pace yourself and pick the gear which stresses you but not gasses out your muscles.

Hope this helps :sad:

Yes it does thanks. I think I'm looking for a magical formula but it looks as though its down to getting out there.

I do exercises sporadically in the gym but I know its not enough. I don't like it when it hurts:smile: R x

Here's the magic formula.

Weigh the bike in lbs.
Reciprocate this number and multiply it by 1000.
This is the gear length in inches your bike SHOULD have as a gear near the bottom end.

Eg. 25lb bike. 1/25 = 0.04. 0.04 x 1000 = 40" gear.

If you ride EVERYWHERE on a gear higher or equal to this, you will become a strong rider quite soon.

Sooner than the pansies who use gears in the thirties on their 20lb bikes to get up a 10% hill..

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
RUTHIEBAV said:

Hope this helps :smile:

Learn to love it, its part and parcel of cycling! :biggrin:

I agree with Jimbo, riding a high gear ftw to build up your brute strength, I ride 85" on my fixed, this is 95% of my cycling, and my leg strength has improved dramatically (even though muscle mass gains are not evident :sad:). To improve your efficiency, you may need to learn to spin higher cadence later but at least you will have the base strength and power bagged!

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

jimboalee said:
Here's the magic formula.

Weigh the bike in lbs.
Reciprocate this number and multiply it by 1000.
This is the gear length in inches your bike SHOULD have as a gear near the bottom end.

Eg. 25lb bike. 1/25 = 0.04. 0.04 x 1000 = 40" gear.

If you ride EVERYWHERE on a gear higher or equal to this, you will become a strong rider quite soon.

Sooner than the pansies who use gears in the thirties on their 20lb bikes to get up a 10% hill..

Fab. That sounds like a pretty definitive answer ... just off to weigh the bike ...... thanks R x :sad:

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Rob3rt said:
Learn to love it, its part and parcel of cycling! :biggrin:

I agree with Jimbo, riding a high gear ftw to build up your brute strength, I ride 85" on my fixed, this is 95% of my cycling, and my leg strength has improved dramatically (even though muscle mass gains are not evident :tongue:). To improve your efficiency, you may need to learn to spin higher cadence later but at least you will have the base strength and power bagged!

Up until now I have done most of my training on a spinning bike in the gym so that probably explains why hills are my issue; its too easy to turn off the tension. I'm going to keep it higher and accept I won't be able to spin as fast as everyone else. Thanks R x

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Rob3rt said:
I agree with Jimbo, riding a high gear ftw to build up your brute strength, I ride 85" on my fixed, this is 95% of my cycling, and my leg strength has improved dramatically (even though muscle mass gains are not evident :tongue:). To improve your efficiency, you may need to learn to spin higher cadence later but at least you will have the base strength and power bagged!

I don't think this would be suitable for everyone. It's one way of doing it but that gearing sounds too high for everyone. I can't even push 85" and it'd be the highest gear on my bike yet I'm all right on hills.

RUTHIEBAV said:
I don't want to blame the bike because at the end of the day its down to leg power but I run out of gears.

I'm on a old steel racer with a dual chainset. I don't know how much difference a different bike would make. I get the feeling that a fit rider would be able to get up the hills on this bike so I'm going to persevere.

What do you think? Would the bike make that much difference? Ruth
It is mainly down to the rider them self but I've found that with the compact I just hit what I call the 'Nirvana' gear and I feel like I could cycle uphill forever (I couldn't :tongue: ). I train on a more traditional double chainset and find this helps. Whatever bike I try to change up when ever I can, so I don't run out of gears. As I said before and is easier said than done, if you can get into a pattern of changing up when you stand up and down when you sit down it helps.

jimboalee

HLaB said:
It is mainly down to the rider them self but I've found that with the compact I just hit what I call the 'Nirvana' gear and I feel like I could cycle uphill forever (I couldn't :biggrin: ). I train on a more traditional double chainset and find this helps. Whatever bike I try to change up when ever I can, so I don't run out of gears. As I said before and is easier said than done, if you can get into a pattern of changing up when you stand up and down when you sit down it helps.

This involves 'feathering the throttle' and is trickier than you imply for a beginner.
Many a beginner have come to a halt after crunching the gears attempting to change down when climbing.

Shimano, I know, allow a 3 sprocket downshift to allow for the speed loss when 'loosening the torque'.

Top Bottom