go henry or alternative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
My father started giving me 3d at dinner time to spend on sweets on the way back to school, but quickly realised that was the wrong way to go. Instead, he gave me 1s 3d a week pocket money (5x3d), and then I realised that if I saved it instead of buying sweets I could get a 1s 6d Airfix kit the following week. My first pay rise was 1s 9d a week (7x3d).

The other thing my parents did was whenever I asked for anything, the answer was always "save up your pocket money", "or wait and see what you get for birthday/xmas". Occasionally they'd give me half if I save up the other half.

Saving up also gives you time to think about what you really want, and deters impulse buying.

My parents attitude exactly Save up your pocket money and we will give you the rest They did draw the line at a Lamborghini though. :laugh: :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've just looked at Lloyds bank and they offer an account for 11-17 year olds, they can choose a contactless debit card OR a cashpoint card. They get 0.5% interest which is more than I get! It has to be opened in branch with a guardian. Why would you ever pay for anything else? I think a paid-for kids account is a con

That's what both of mine had: it's been really useful as it gives them some 'proper' credit history. I think I recommended it up-thread :whistle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We like our Dyson hoover much better than the Henry's I have used before ^_^

As an aside a pal of mine used to work for Dyson, and he did mention that use of the word "hoover" in the office was a major faux pas. Must be tough to change decades of habit, a bit like Brit ex pats in the US getting into trouble for having a fag

Top Bottom