go henry or alternative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
pocket money for kids
traditionaly cash which they spend asap so considering a card system we can top up once a month we their cash for the month ao looking at the pros and cons of various ones but go henry is the only one i have heard of

tom73

Guru
@DCLane has it if old enough an account is best they learn all about how to manage money all round that way.
With other card system you have watch many change a monthly fee.
Some School's still have accounts many do lessons on all things money maybe worth checking if that an option.
Another options maybe local credit union many they also have childrens accounts.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How old are they? Mine got a Lloyds bank account from age 11 with a Visa Debit card and it's taught them to manage their money well.

MIni ck 2 is 11 and a saver but mini ck1 is 15 although with ASD has no money sense , if its available its spent and has a student bank account/ card but managed to go into the red even though you cant by trying to buy things repeatedly when there was no funds and we got a charge :wacko:

I thought it was about vacuum cleaners too... :laugh:

Totally left-of-field, but what about a daily allowance that isn't enough to do anything with? And then they have to think before they spend.

Mum taught me that lesson when I was a nipper, by giving me a 1/2p coin. I didn't want it, because I said "you can't do anything with that" - so next school trip, mum only gives me 19 1/2p for the bus instead of 20p... Best financial lesson I ever had.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
For my two grandsons (age 12 and 13) one has a Starling Kite card (£2/month), the other has GoHenry (£3.49/month). Personally, I don’t see what the advantage of the GoHenry card, for the extra £1.49/month. Other than that both work admirably to allow me to provide pocket money, and, for grandsons to learn how to use/manage a debit card.

MichaelO

Veteran
We just opened regular accounts for both kids when they started secondary school. Pocket money in each week, and up to them to manage it themselves - they are better at looking after money than I am!!

Couldn't justify paying £25-£50 a year for a "kids" account.

markemark

Über Member
Normal current account which they have access to. A savings account they can put into but they don't have access to other than letting them see the monthly statements. Current account linked to their phones for payment. Did this when both kids reached 11. GoHenry seems far too complicated and costly for what it is.

S1mb0b

Revolut lets you have a free linked <18 account with Apple Pay/contactless card (account is free, but need to pay small amount for card). Can set spending limits on contactless.

Top Bottom