Disccssions on Brompton bag or alternative brand for commuting!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So new job, longer train journey but same cycle commute time, not very long. I want to be more office smart so front Brompton luggage block mounted bag seems a good idea. More presentable in the office than this.

my criteria is up to 30l but preferably still neat if less than half the capacity is actually used. Looks less like a pannier off the bike. Looks like a messenger bag off the bike.

Some perfect on the bike bags from alternative brands I've seen look to be less than ideal off the bike. One bag I liked had a solid plastic plate on the face of the bag you'd have against your body when off the bike. Doesn't look comfortable to me. A lot of the larger Brompton branded bags have two pockets on the back face that you'd have against the body. Are they not in the way when carrying off the bike?

Any advice or recommendations? Any opinions on the comments made in the paragraph immediately above this?

Last edited:
I absolutely swear by my Large Metro Messenger bag. It's nominally 23l, I think but the design uses space really well (end pockets, back pockets, laptop protector, zipped pockets etc) so never feels like you're overstuffing it. If it's a 'do I need a waterproof?' day, which is often the last 5l of use of a rucksack, you can always lay it on top and tie it down with the adjustable straps on the top flap.

I use mine for absolutely everything - from a fifty-quid trip to the Co-Op through swimming kit for 3 to site-meeting-and-survey kit for one. We have a large roll-top bag too, which gets used for the dog paraphenalia as it's a bit more basic. The Metro Messenger is always presentable in a meeting room (usually it's the smartest thing about me!)

The back pockets are always shown in photos as being full, presumably to emphasise the capacity, and look like solid lumps on the back of the bag. On the bike, they're really handy for frequently accessed items - in my case, water bottle/waterproof cover one side and tape measure, notepad and disto on the other. Off the bike, if they're full it just makes the bag fit on your hip nicely. If they're empty, or just have the waterproof cover in there, they squash flat and you don't notice them.

Kell

Veteran
That messenger bag looks to be a similar size to the old C-Bag and has the pockets on the rear too.

I have s C-bag and find it to be a useful size - for when I do need it.

As @Specialeyes says above, the pockets when full tuck neatly around your hips.

That said, I prefer a rucksack for various reasons, but the C-Bag/Messenger looks smarter. C-bag now only available as NOS or second-hand. Messenger bag looks like a good alternative.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a big Brompton bag with the two pockets on the back. They are in fact an advantage I find when carrying the bag as a shoulder bag as they come one on either side of my hip and seem to make a fully laden bag easier to carry.
Cannot remember which model and not handy to have a look to check just now.

berlinonaut

Veteran
my criteria is up to 30l but preferably still neat if less than half the capacity is actually used.
How much research have you done yourself, do you have any favorites yet? This specification is not too much help, to be honest.
One bag I liked had a solid plastic plate on the face of the bag you'd have against your body when off the bike. Doesn't look comfortable to me.
Why did you like it then?
A lot of the larger Brompton branded bags have two pockets on the back face that you'd have against the body. Are they not in the way when carrying off the bike?
Depends. Obviously more that if they were not there but not too much. The small bags at the back are in practice immensely practical for storing i.e. rainwear, tools or a bottle or cup during the commute.
Any advice or recommendations?
This list is pretty comprehensive in regards of what's available. Fire up Google Translate, go through the spreadsheet and find the ones that fit to your need and taste:

https://bromptonauten.cc/threads/ueberblick-taschen-fuer-den-brompton-traegerblock.704/

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Brompton metro back pack. 14 ltrs, very neat, does for me, commuting, and touring. Not cheap though, nothing Brompton is, but colleagues at work have expressed how nice the bag looks and fancy one for themselves even though they haven’t got a bike.

IMG_3351.jpeg

Bag at the front stuffed full.

Dadam

No insight to offer on brompton-compatible luggage, and if you want to treat yourself to a new bag then be my guest, there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm just curious why your backpack isn't "office smart"? I guess different workplaces have different conventions but unless you're visiting blue chip clients at swish offices, in my experience nobody cares or even notices what bag you turn up to the office with. You get your laptop etc out then dump it under your desk, or in a locker.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
If you've ever had an alpkit Gourdon when it's not packed then you'd know. It's a mess of a rucksack in terms of looks. No way around that, but it does a job. That is keeps contents dry in heavy rain and its tough.

It is technically a blue chip company I'm working for but at the coal face so to, speak. Mix of office and shopfloor based I think. Not completely sure as I've not started there yet. I did work for the company in a different division and a very long time ago at a young age. Back then the offices were typically workabout in that engineers used them and shop floor in much safety boots and overalls too. But most based in them were smart. My new job is different department and likely cleaner and smart. I'll see soon enough.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Brompton do a pale pinky white briefcase bag for the front block. Any of you guys going to give that a go for a month to test the theory?

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve got the large metro messenger too. I looked at the metro briefcase and the small messenger, both not big enough for laptop, clothing, 4 pairs of specs, cable lock, book, plus usual small stuff. More than happy with it. I also have the little handlebar bag for keys, purse, phone etc

EckyH

From me another vote for the Brompton Metro Bag L.
Despite having it just for two months I dare to write that it is a great bag. As the others wrote it is comfortable to carry and the back pockets don't annoy me, even with my relatively large hip radius.
As far as I can judge it, it is well made. I'd buy it again.

Subjectively: the Metro Bag L seems to have a TARDIS in it's ancestry.

E.

Top Bottom