Disccssions on Brompton bag or alternative brand for commuting!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I use a Carradice cadet (without pockets) on the folder. It just clips to the bagman qr on the saddle with no need for a rack or frame. It has a nice shoulder strap so a bit like an old school satchel.

Dadam

Have you validated your opinion, i.e. by using an Aldi Plastic Bag for a week or two or, as a cross test, a pink lady's hand bag?

What makes you think that I am (a) not a lady, or (b, regardless of (a) … that a pink handbag would not be my choice? ^_^

I can confidently say that at my workplace, nobody would bat an eyelid at either of those. Except perhaps the plastic bag isn’t the most practical or safe carrier for expensive company property.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I was on the Brompton site reading reviews for both the waterproof and non waterproof metro bags recommended here. People marked them down because they didn't make sure n the loud had fully covered the opening. I mean talk about operator error! It's made of fabric which can and most likely will flop in way you might not want when half empty. I used to have a rucksack that you clipped the lid shut then ran your fingers around the lid to make sure it covered the opening. Simple and obvious you had to do that.

There was one bag that got a very low score according to the summary bar chart at the top of the reviews section. However when you went looking for that review to see what they didn't like it was missing. Completely deleted! Not a good look imho. Better to leave the negative as chances are they're by a bit of a muppet who hasn't figured out how to use a part of the bag. Easily ignored but once deleted you think what fault are they hiding?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I like the waterproof one as you don't have to worry about putting the cover on. However, a cover will keep it dry but without a cover the waterproof one will be wet when first big indoors. Not sure what is best in that respect.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I like the waterproof one as you don't have to worry about putting the cover on. However, a cover will keep it dry but without a cover the waterproof one will be wet when first big indoors. Not sure what is best in that respect.

The cover on mine is bright yellow so if you want extra visibility at any point you could use it for that.

Tenkaykev

Guru
It used to be yellow with the older bags, however, with the current lineup of bags it is orange as far as I know.

My basket bag cover has a fetching blue cover with a silver reflective Deuter logo😎

mitchibob

Über Member
I've been using a Brompton T-Bag for years now.
31 l capacity, it'll cope with a weeks touring luggage if you pack lightly.
It's now been replaced with the Borough bag, which is slightly smaller.

Only slightly though, and means you can use Borough Bag with S-bars, and can confirm that you can get about same number of beers in either before starting to worry about hitting the weight limit on the luggage block (or just making riding back up the valley THAT much harder). Not sure I like the rear pockets as much on the Borough bag compared with T-Bag. Both good bags, unless you switch to S-bars and then realise T-Bag is only any good if you want to only travel in a straight line.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
New update on this query. Veen at new job for nearly a month now. They provided a laptop, mouse, extra USB sockets, laptop rucksack 16l, safety boots, overalls with retro reflective bands on the but no office or perm desk or lockers.

We're technically flexi working but mostly WFH with maybe one day on site using hot decking. Mostly we carry our day stuff everywhere including to the canteen for lunch. This means on days I'm likely to need to go to the shopfloor where manufacturing is happening then I'll need boots and overalls. I'll have to carry them on my bike.

Which bag do you think could get size 10 boots plus overalls in together with laptop, headset, cables, drink, etc? Would the metro large be big enough? I'm thinking I need 28l of the large Borough bag non waterproof. Does that have a waterproof cover.

vickster

Legendary Member
New update on this query. Veen at new job for nearly a month now. They provided a laptop, mouse, extra USB sockets, laptop rucksack 16l, safety boots, overalls with retro reflective bands on the but no office or perm desk or lockers.

We're technically flexi working but mostly WFH with maybe one day on site using hot decking. Mostly we carry our day stuff everywhere including to the canteen for lunch. This means on days I'm likely to need to go to the shopfloor where manufacturing is happening then I'll need boots and overalls. I'll have to carry them on my bike.

Which bag do you think could get size 10 boots plus overalls in together with laptop, headset, cables, drink, etc? Would the metro large be big enough? I'm thinking I need 28l of the large Borough bag non waterproof. Does that have a waterproof cover.

I think you might struggle with the big boots in the large metro messenger bag assuming they’re solid and inflexible, as well as everything else.
Drink bottle not an issue as the bag has two pockets on the back.
Can you get to a Brompton dealer to assess?

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member

does that all fit in the 16l rucksack?
I have an S bag I no longer use that I keep meaning to sell. They are smaller than the Borough Bags I think ,@ 20l but prob bigger than metro bags. They have a removeable waterproof bight yellow cover.

Top Bottom