Go Pro or one of the knock offs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Thinking about buying a Go Pro or similar, not necessarily for use on the bike only to be fair but for holidaying etc. Are the knock offs really as good as the genuine Go Pros ?

Slick

Guru
There are loads of good cameras out there although I do have the go pro which is pretty good but probably not worth the extra cash if I'm honest.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've got a generic Chinese one, 1080p and it was 45 quid a few years ago. Now you can get the 4k version for not much more. Picture is great and sound is even better, not sure about wind noise when moving though. Buttons are clunky and the menus etc very basic and inefficient, but at that price i just wanted to film stuff. But online and you can try it out and return within 14 days if it doesn't meet your expectations. The go pro will be better made and have less sound bleed when you press buttons etc, but 40 quid will get you basic and perfectly functional. Mine was called Apeman i think

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have one of the first Go Pros. Its been faultles. Great underwater camera. But does everything i need it to do. Probably get a second hand one on Ebay for not a lot of money. Not used any of the newer ones. So cannot coment on those.

I tried one of the knockoffs. In fairness it was pretty good for picture quality. Battery life wasn't great but it came with an extra battery. Wind noise was an issue - or maybe I just go very fast! :laugh:

However, and this was the killer - the editing app was slow and clunky beyond belief. Also, the video format needed to be converted to work with any of the decent video editing apps or software. It meant a ridiculously long time to convert then edit footage.

If you do go down the "cheap" route check the reviews on whatever software is supplied and check the video format will play nice with any software you plan to use.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not having owned a GoPro, I cannot really make comparisons.

I do own, several "cheapo" cameras, mostly bought off Ebay, none of them cost more than £50.

I have also had a Drift HD170 Action Camera, approx £100 about 8 years ago.

The Drift has now "died" after about 8 years use. It was solidly built, but, rather large and clunky. Technology has moved on, so, perhaps, later models are more compact. I used it almost exclusively as an action camera on cycling outings. Sample footage here.

I have a Yi 4K Dashcam, which I use in a Motorhome. I have had it for two years, no problems. It has Wifi, so, you can connect to smartphone. Sample footage here.

I have an unbranded Ambrella Dashcam, in my car. It has been in there for four years, it works, never had cause to download the footage, so, no samples.

I have two Chilli-Technology "Bullet" cameras, on bicycle, one facing forward, one back. Only had them for about three months, no complaints so far, but, not really a long term "test". Sample footage here.

I have a Mobius Camera. This I have had for several years (maybe six or seven). They are really small and light, often used by Model Aircraft Enthusiasts. There is no screen. Mobius are still active, and still have a Website issuing downloadable upgrades to firmware etc. Sample footage here.

There is a channel on Youtube, going by the name Techmoan among other things, he reviews dash cams and action cameras, might be worth a view. It is here.

I briefly (for about 1 year) had an Aldi rear light camera. IMHO, it worked well, but, it did not like getting wet and died. Sample footage here.

I have also had an Acorn Trail Camera. Cannot recall how much it cost, but, about £80, I think. It died after about two years of use. I cannot lay hands on any sample footage at present. But, overall, I was not impressed, other than the novelty of being able to video birds, foxes etc in the garden.

Hopefully, my wife will not see this post, and realise how many cameras I have ;)

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There are comparisons of the Go Pros on Youtube. The image stabilisation on the latest one compared to 2 models ago is huge.

I would splash out on the latest Go Pro. I dont think there is anything else to touch it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have been using a Drift Stealth 2 for a couple of years, but yesterday received a Drift Ghost XL... too early to comment on it but seems OK so far. I chose it because of 8 hour battery life, 1080 HDR footage and it's not too big on the side of the helmet.

If you are happy with recharging/changing the battery every 1.5 hours or running the camera somehow off a powerbank (usually thereby compromising its weatherproofing) then a reconditioned GoPro might be a good plan to get the best quality stabilised footage.

If I was looking to produce the best quality videos rather than simple evidence of dodgy drivers, I'd go for that option. I found a few GoPro Hero5 Black refurbished for £140 or less on Ebay which were very tempting. They were top of the range when they were brought out, do 4K quality video and have stablising which produces nice smooth footage.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Gopro Hero 8 black great camera but the editing app isn't windows 10 ready yet. It'll work great with a mac, for windows you'll have to try videoproc or similar

Top Bottom