Go to pre ride meal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Either a couple of slices or toast or a bowl of granola. That will do me for the first 50 to 70 miles of a long ride, dependent on the effort im putting in.
But of course, everyone is different. Some will eat more, some less. There's no overall rules.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Granola here too, probably accompanied by a glass of fruit juice. I’ll then take some easy-to-consume food and/or drink with me if it’s a very long ride.

Porridge, 20grms and 180ml semi skimmed milk, sliced banana on top and a drizzle of honey. That would be pre-race or event if it needed some effort. If possible i like to eat that 1hr or more before a ride.

grldtnr

Porridge, 20grms and 180ml semi skimmed milk, sliced banana on top and a drizzle of honey. That would be pre-race or event if it needed some effort. If possible i like to eat that 1hr or more before a ride.

Always used to scoff a bowl of porridge, sets me up for the day. is the best food, made with skimmed milk ,water and sugar, you can use other sweetness as long as it's natural.

Oats release the energy slowly throughout the day,
For me ,normally had plenty in the tank towards the end of a 100 miler, but a couple of Guinness and a wad lunch time probably helped.
Mind you the pro's shovel pasta. Rice, Steak the night before , even the morning before racing, consuming as much as 8,000 calories a day, mind you they ride it off, training ,even before a days racing.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My worst was before one of those Bike Events 100 milers that were popular during the early '90s. We stayed at a B&B in Bath before the event and the only thing I fancied from the breakfast menu was cereal, so I had a bowl of Al Bran.

Believe me, it really does work :sad:

presta

Guru
At home I eat porridge for breakfast in winter, and Weetabix in summer. On tour, which is when I'm cycling all day every day, I eat muesli because it's the most energy dense and survives cramming into a pannier.

I had a roast dinner reheated up last week as that what I had in the fridge.

postman

Legendary Member
Night before pasta or spag bol.Breakfast toast porridge with banana and honey.On the bike one bottle with water and one with water and honey.

Slick

Guru
For me, its a little often.

I can't ride after taking on food in any real quantity, so tea and toast as early as I can face it so there is at least an hour before I ride. If I'm in the saddle all day, its just half a cereal bar after 30 or 40 miles, and obviously I'm a sucker for cake at the cafe stop. If its just my usual 50k Sunday run, then breakfast is eaten after the ride.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That sounds like a very small portion to me, but maybe not? I have never actually checked what weight of oats fit my 250mL scoop. Hang on...

Er, yes - I have 90 gm of oats! To that I add 1 scoop of soya milk and 2 scoops of water. Plus a small scoop of seed mix, the drizzle of honey, sliced banana AND a few raisins, 4 or 5 red grapes, 3 blackberries or 2 strawberries, and a few blueberries (4 or 5 big ones, upto 10 if they are small).

If I don't have porridge, I subsitute muesli. The same additions, but skipping the water and heating! :okay:

That is quite a big portion so I prefer to eat it 2+ hours before the start of a ride, and I don't eat a lot while out.

PS I thought maybe my oats intake might be excessive but I just checked - 20 gm is less than 80 cals! Even my mega-portion is well under 400. Obviously, the extra fruit etc. add quite significantly to the total.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like many above, porridge in the morning before a big ride. Or if it's a Friday Night ride, a big bowl of pasta.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Massive bowl of granola or muesli with huge mug of tea, then strong coffee as I’m getting the bike sorted.

Top Bottom