Gogo Best Gf600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
I thought I would dip my toe into the Electric bikes forum to pick your brains on the "Gogo Best e bike"
My dad bought it last October to use and enjoy but he's sadly reluctantly come to the conclusion it's not for him .He bought it thinking the fat tyres would offer great stability over our atrocious roads and the powerful motor would help him tackle the steep hills here in Wales.Well he was right on those lines ,but as he's getting on a bit he finds the bike way to big for him to cock his leg over, plus he's got poor movement after his hip replacement a few years back.
All in all he doesn't feel confident or safe with it and wants a smaller step through frame ebike.
He's offered it to me for sale,so today I was allowed (which I feel privileged) to try it out.
I've never ridden an ebike before for any decent distance so with this opportunity I took it on decent road ride of 16 miles along the Welsh coast line and few decent climbs.
Being a keen road bike cyclist I wanted to know how a big heavy fat tyred ebike would compare to my light weight road bike..
I wasn't dressed up in my usual cycling gear but was wearing my jeans and thick jacket, I took to the road on this beast of a bike in the highest power setting available.
Well I was mightly impressed by it.Considering it only has 6 gears it flew along the road and averaged an eye watering 22mph along the 16 mile ride.The big fat 26" by 4" tyres just glided over every single pot hole the road threw at me.and it felt rock solid.The gears worked perfectly and the cable operated disc brakes were amazing compared to my rim brakes on my road bike.
When I got back I had grin on my face from ear to ear and never even broke a sweat along the way.
A couple things though that concern me was the battery range.
The battery was fully charged last November and although the bike has got no more than 60 miles of use under its belt the battery dropped from 100% to 30%.
Granted I used full power setting,but is this normal for a bike that states it should have a range of 60 miles according to the blurb.
Also when he bought the bike the battery wouldn't charge up, so Gogo best sent a replacement battery and never asked for the faulty one back.My dads no expert on e bike batteries but after doing a little Internet research he thinks this battery can be brought back to life as it's charge has dropped to low.I haven't a clue on this what so ever and would be interested to know what more informed folk think..
From the face of it I would like to have this bike.Yes it looks ridiculous, it's weighs an absolute ton but it certainly put a big smile on my face, and as my hips are gradually getting worse with age I'm thinking my road bike days are nearing there end.
Anybody ever heard or owned one of theses bikes.Id be very interested to hear from you if you have.
Anyway thanks for reading and hope you have a great week ahead.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure exactly what model you have as you didn't give a link but this sounds like it may be illegal on UK roads so you'd better watch out for the fuzzy muff.

If you were riding it along on max assist power and going up several hill then using a load of charge from the battery is not unusual

does seem a lot though

However, these batteries do like being charged and discharged regularly and do not like being left on full charge for long time - or, worse still, on very low charge

On a more positive note, my first ebike came with a battery and over time it started loosing range a lot - so I bought a new one.
Over time I started using the original battery again when the new one was low and I wanted to go for a ride.
Hence, although it was never left uncharged for a long period of time, when I started using it once every week or so again then it seemed to perk up a bit and I felt it got some of its range back

so - to summarise (I tend to woffle)
if you use it on lower power setting then you will get far greater range - especially if it has the legal power cutoff of 15.5 mph set up properly as, from what you say, you will be able to cruise along at this speed and will find that if you put some effort into pedalling as well then the range will increase massively
And - using it regularly and charging it properly afterwards might well perk it up and bit and bring back some more range - I believe this may be caused by the electronics and charger being able to re-balance the cells but I could be talking rubbish there!!!

anyway - good luck - remember to check the legalities - although you chances of being stopped are minimal to zero unless you ride like a moron - which I'm sure you won't

Top Bottom