Going back on my word !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Im putting my trust back in halfords again!
Basically I lost all trust in them last year when I bought my new carrera TDF.......many issues that I won't go into coz iv already mentioned them on here before.
My Giant defy required a new BB last month, which I got my local bike guy to install for me. Since then I have been getting a very loud ticking noise coming from around the BB area whenever I'm putting a bit of pressure on the pedals. The BB came from halfords so I phoned them up and said that the bike has only done about 150 miles since it was fitted and if there was a fault with it would they replace it. They were a bit hesitant considering they didn't fit it, but suggested I bring it to them to have a look.....
As the gears could do with a tune up anyway I thought I'd give them another go.
Hope I don't end up regretting it

young Ed

Veteran
let them give you a new BB for you or local bike man to fit but don't let them go anywhere near the gears from what i have heard!
could i have a link to the thread about TDF as i may be looking at them?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
@young Ed no need to look at the thread really. The carrera TDF is a cracking entry level bike, it was the staff at halfords that annoyed me, but thats just my store. They're probably a bit more competent in your one.....id like to think so anyway.
Regarding the BB, I am worried that perhaps my local guy didn't fit it correctly. I'll give them a shot at sorting it tomorrow.......my only concern is that I'll be looking at all those lovely new Boardmans that are on display. Always tempting !!!

I can only speak through my own experience but I tried all three Halfords in my local area and it went from bad to worse. Hope you have a better experience though as I'm sure there must be some good ones out there.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Congratulations. Now you won't be at the mercy of some muppet armed with a plumber's wrench.

Robeh

I bought my carrera TDF in 2011 and ive changed a fair amount off it components.

And i wouldn't let Helfrauds anywhere near my bikes.
At the time off purchase it met my needs but not for long:bicycle:
winter bike..jpg

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Halfords do seem very hit and miss, but TBH the worst attitude and mind boggling inept diagnosis and (failing to) fix a problem I've suffered was a long established bike specific LBS.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Just be sure it IS the BB. I changed mine only to find it was a pedal bearing gone duff _ DOH !!!
Managed to sort it out today. Not sure exactly what we did to fix, but we took the pedals off and swapped them with @Jason.T pedals and everything worked fine. Fiddled about with the crank and and put my pedals back on and still all good !
Weird, but glad the problem has been eliminated.......for now at least :thumbsup:

sheffgirl

My bike is doing a similar thing at the moment. Its not constant, an intermittent creaking/clicking noise coming from the pedal/ crank area, worse when I put some effort in lol.
Its a little disconcerting, I'll have to have a look at it.

young Ed

Veteran
My bike is doing a similar thing at the moment. Its not constant, an intermittent creaking/clicking noise coming from the pedal/ crank area, worse when I put some effort in lol.
Its a little disconcerting, I'll have to have a look at it.
For any noise you think maybe coming from that point do an out of the saddle test first.
mine is similar but i have pinpointed the sounds so far so that i can 'see the sound'! HaHa
as i have one of those bike stands i clamped the bike up and spun the cranks very slowly and it was catching at one point in every rotation so i had a cuppa and plucked up the courage to rebuild my traditional loose bearing BB.....one cup was completely scuffed up so i reassembled with new grease and shall either replace with un55 or a more likely a new bike as i need one anyway :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom