Going backwards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

curve

So its back to cycling for me. :smile:

I haven't ridden a bike for about 20 years and I am now approaching life crisis point carrying an overly large tyre and if I don't do something soon I will just vegetate on a sofa for the rest of my days. I have tried sailing but there is just to much rope pulling and faffing around for my taste.

I did, however, cycle a bit when I was a lad. I remember racing around on an old Raleigh bike pretending I was challenging for the yellow jersey.

My plan is to get a hybrid this year and take it nice and steady at first. Just a few gentle rides along the seafront at Brighton before heading into the South Downs in a few months. Next year if I have survived I would like to get a road bike and increase distances. I would really love to have a go at the L'Etape du Tour and maybe even cycling tours in the USA.

So if anyone sees a large gentleman wobbling down Brighton seafront stand well clear.:biggrin:

And if anybody has got any advice about my plans I'd be happy to receive them.

Welcome back curve!

Don't end up like some of us on here who spend more time on the forum than on the bike!

OP
OP
curve

curve

No, I am quite used to wasting time of forums. I know how addictive it gets so I am planning to mount my Blackberry onto the handlebars just to keep in touch when out on the road.

Curve, you are spoilt for choice for cycle shops in Brighton, have a good look around before you buy! Beware of the cycling restrictions on the seafront....
Above all enjoy yourself!

OP
OP
curve

curve

Old Walrus said:
Beware of the cycling restrictions on the seafront....

Don't worry bike lane only for me not like some of the cyclists I see from my window trying to dodge the pedestrians with their ice creams. Mind you most of the pedestrians seem to wander all over the bike lane as well.:smile:

I am quite looking forward to zooming up and down the bike lane on the seafront. And I can't wait to try the new route from Hove to the South Downs that is under construction.

OP
OP
curve

curve

bonj said:
might aswell just get a roadbike to start with, or just get a road bike and a hybrid.

I've been thinking about that. I don't really want to ride fast yet and I just want to get my fitness level up. I don't ever want to go offroad. So maybe I will just get a road bike.

I will just have to see what shiny machines catch my eyes when I walk into the shop tomorrow.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is important to try before you buy, don't be too set on a particular type of bike, better to set a budget and try range of bikes within that budget. If the shop won't let you take the bike outside to ride it up and down the road, walk away and never go back to it (they might want to take your credit card details before letting you try it, just to make sure you do bring it back). Then buy the one that you find the most fun to ride.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aperitif said:
Have a ball curve!
I think Rich - who sweeps up in the café - comes from down your way <memory like sieve> ;) :wacko:

I'll have you know that I'm sometimes allowed to make the toast.

Hi Curve, I think that new route from the Dyke involves using the bike lane in Dyke Road which is littered with parked cars and may involve a roughish track up near Devils Dyke itself.
I'm pretty sure that you'll soon outgrow the seafront although the path does go all the way to Worthing now.
Evans has the best choice of bikes in Brighton but it would be nice to use an independent like Rayments or Baker Street.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll be back on here with loads of questions once you've been to the bike shop..... so many types....

Full Blown Road bike
Comfy Road Bike (like Giant SCR's)
Road bike hybrid (straight bars) - Like Specialized Sirrus
MTB hybrid - like an MTB, but suited to roads / tracks - less knobbly tyres
MTB - Off road machine with varying dergrees of suspension

And it goes on and on -

OP
OP
curve

curve

Road bike hybrid (straight bars) - Like Specialized Sirrus

Exactly what I have decided to get. :tongue:

Roll on the next Monday when my training schedule begins. I am planning to spend the rest of the week stuffing doughnuts down my cakehole before I start eating them in moderation.

Top Bottom