Going Bodmin???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i've just been watching doc martin again and a young girl said to the doc "they think you're going bodmin".
can anyone from that area or any other tell us waht it means?
thanks

Haitch

Flim Flormally
From the Urban Dictionary:

Chav central of Cornwall, you don't want to be left alone there at night OR in the day. People often use this as an insult. It is very good for being able to discribe someone as chavy or a pikey.

Insult: e.g. "You going Bodmin" Or , "Oh My Bodmin" Or, "Bodmin" (plainly)Or "Your muffas from Bodmin".

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Wow, I think they might have made it up themselves. Type "going Bodmin" into google and virtually every single hit is about Doc Martin. It was also the name of an episode.

OP
OP
P
Alan H said:
Wow, I think they might have made it up themselves. Type "going Bodmin" into google and virtually every single hit is about Doc Martin. It was also the name of an episode.

yes thats all i got, so wondered if a local could give more info.

simonali

Guru
Alan H said:
From the Urban Dictionary:

Chav central of Cornwall, you don't want to be left alone there at night OR in the day. People often use this as an insult. It is very good for being able to discribe someone as chavy or a pikey.

Insult: e.g. "You going Bodmin" Or , "Oh My Bodmin" Or, "Bodmin" (plainly)Or "Your muffas from Bodmin".

What about Newquay? Surely that's chav central of Cornwall?

'Orrible place! :ohmy:

Renard

There was a documentary on telly a few weeks ago about some chaps from Bodmin moor (all weirdos to a man). There was one guy in particular who collected road kill for food. He had a freezer full of wild animals :thumbsup:

BJB said:
There was a documentary on telly a few weeks ago about some chaps from Bodmin moor (all weirdos to a man). There was one guy in particular who collected road kill for food. He had a freezer full of wild animals :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with that, as long as it's reasonably fresh.
A mate of mine once played frisbee with a very flat rabbit when he was on a drunken walk home from the pub. That's probably a step too far for most people.:ohmy:

Renard

User76 said:
That was Arthur, he's a keen orienteerer:wacko:

Is this the fella?

redcogs

Guru
i wasn't going to contribute to this thread, but i feel the need to defend Arthur.

The main point is that Arthur isn't the least bit "weird". The tv program that featured him was tied to a specific agenda, and was very misleading.

Had the producer decided to feature Arthur as the man of many interests, who, to use maggots example, orienteers, who is passionate about wildlife in general, ornithology in particular, and enthusiastic about ecological matters generally, then he would perhaps have come across as the fascinating human being that he actually is. Eccentric? certainly. Weird? absolutely not. Still, its not the first time individuals have been portrayed by the mass media as other than what they actually are, and it did make enjoyable TV. But not honest or accurate.

Bodmin is a lovely little town. Some of my schooling was done there, and my old Dad psychiatric nursed some very sad cases at St Lawrence's over a long period. i think its closure damaged the town and continues to injure the interests of many mentally ill people who today just roam about more or less abandoned by an increasingly cruel system whose only concern is £sd.

My advice is to get to the Bodmin moors for a biking holiday. Its absolutely superb away from the regularly beaten track. Highly recommended.

simonali said:
What about Newquay? Surely that's chav central of Cornwall?

'Orrible place! :biggrin:

In fact Lanivet is the physical centre of Cornwall and is 2.4 miles SouthWest of Bodmin....... Newquay is on the Coast - so by definition Bodmin is more central!

Or is that simply being pedantic?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User76 said:
Trust me, I'm a nurse (psychiatry). In Wiltshire it would have been "Ooooh, you're off to Roundway", in Somerset the equivalent would have been Tone Vale, Bristol would have been Barrow Gurney etc. Each county had an asylum and each asylum became infamous in it's own area. They've all been converted into houses now though, and the streets are full of people who need help:sad: Care in the community my arse:angry:

Growing-up in Exeter it ws "going Digby", or he's a bit Digby, as Digby was the name of the local asylum...or Loony-bin as we knew it.

Top Bottom