Going for drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If you were a motoring enthusiast, it used to be a common thing to do. That is, driving without the need to go anywhere/fulfil a purpose. I can't remember the last time I just went for a drive nor have I heard anyone else do this.

Does anybody still do this or has the price of fuel and environmental concerns put an end to it?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The tiers have put an end to it, for most.

Slick

Guru
I hate driving now so would never do it unless I had to. Not entirely sure when it changed as I used to love driving and still have a car that's begging to be driven but hardly ever use it now.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
True, but even before the pandemic, I can't recall anybody say they're off for a drive. Was seen as a good way to clear the head a few years ago.

I think traffic levels have removed the attraction for many. With three times as many vehicles on the road as the 1990s, freedom of the open road isn’t quite the same.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I do all the driving and the year before last, we drove to Barmouth for no particular reason other than it was a nice day and and we fancied a drive to the seaside. The roads are good here and are not nearly as crowded as other places. I quite like driving in the area that I live.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My son still does it (or did before Covid). I'd imagine motorcyclists would do aswell.

We get a lot of motorbikes round here in the summer. They mostly come from Brum and other places for a day out.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I sometimes go for a drive when I need to get the 1yo down for his nap. Put him in the car, blast out some dirty techno or some metal and he's out like a light. Gives me a chance to clear the DPF and all.

Adam4868

Guru
Went today...over to Cockerham sands then a walk to Glasson Dock.I often go out with my partner for a drive on Sundays.Yea I know it's Saturday but we're both off work.

Top Bottom