Going for drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The Sunday afternoon drive used to be a regular thing. I like driving, but an aimless jaunt just for the sake of it is no longer something I do.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Years ago yes. Now I rarely touch the car. This last year was probably the least mileage I've done 18 years.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Friend had a sports bike, a Suzuki 600 or similar... it did less than 30mpg average. I just couldn't see the point of it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Still do it now and again but not to the extent I did in the 80's and 90's. I hate to think how much I spent on petrol and depreciation caused by high mileages back then :wacko:. Always had (still have) motorbikes too, which were/are used pretty much solely for leisure miles.
It's still possible to find reasonably quiet roads near my home area where you can get away from the hustle and bustle, turn up the stereo, and leave reality at home.
Having driven in some of the more urban areas (for a living and for leisure) I can appreciate why many detest driving. Anywhere within about 50 miles of the M25 is torture 😢. It only really starts to improve north of Preston. Turns to shite again in the central belt of Scotland, the dreaded "M8 corridor".

Went today...over to Cockerham sands then a walk to Glasson Dock.I often go out with my partner for a drive on Sundays.Yea I know it's Saturday but we're both off work.
The other side of the estuary from Sunderland Point?
I've never been to Glasson, but we were at Sunderland Point & Morecambe, last May

DSCF3692.JPG

DSCF3724.JPG

DSCF3733.JPG

DSCF3735.JPG

DSCF3744.JPG

DSCF3750.JPG

DSCF3753.JPG

DSCF3755.JPG

Yes

We used to do it a lot
A trip to, for example;
Richmond
Whitby
HolmeMoss/Glossop/Snake Pass/LadyBower/'The Strines'

Some circuits would be done without even pulling over

byegad

Legendary Member
Used to do it a lot, and between lockdowns we did a few runs starting and ending at home, mainly to charge the car, but we enjoyed it too. We didn't get out of the car.
In normal times we'd go somewhere most weeks, Whitby, Richmond, Barnard Castle, pre-Demonic Scummings! Lots of places, but.... it was always a drive to get somewhere for a day out.

My days of a run out for pleasure of driving have gone, thanks to crowded roads, moronic drivers and the state of many roads.

Adam4868

Guru
The other side of the estuary from Sunderland Point?
I've never been to Glasson, but we were at Sunderland Point & Morecambe, last May

View attachment 569153

View attachment 569154

View attachment 569155

View attachment 569156

View attachment 569157

View attachment 569158

View attachment 569159

View attachment 569160
Yea that's it,they've done quite a bit of work at Sunderland point...near Sambos grave.Lookout art installation and some groundworks.Its kind of bleak which I like.Some gorgeous houses looking over towards Cockerham.You didn't miss that much not going to Glasson,nice walks by the canal and a few cafes.Somrtimes cycle over that way.
Kids when young thought it was exciting going out of Sunderland point when the tide was coming in....they'd barely glance up from there phones now ^_^

Yea that's it,they've done quite a bit of work at Sunderland point...near Sambos grave.Lookout art installation and some groundworks.Its kind of bleak which I like.
Kids when young thought it was exciting going out of Sunderland point when the tide was coming in....they'd barely glance up from there phones now ^_^
I saw that, by the grave
DSCF3748.JPG

Daughter was same, even though tide was well out, although when she was younger, she did notice....
October 2004
Lancashire. 27.10.04. Lancaster. Sunderland Point. S50 RAT.JPG

I remember it as a kid, thinking we'd be caught out

Even when I started driving, heading over there was fraught - girlfriend/wife had friends at Lancaster University, so went over fairly often
(memories from childhood, I guess??)

Maybe 1986??
EJX 675Y. 1.jpg

keithmac

Guru
20 years ago I'd think nothing of driving 50 miles to pop out for fish and chips (with my mates or wife to be).

I genuinely despise driving now, it's a means to an end and nothing more.

Drago

Legendary Member
Friend had a sports bike, a Suzuki 600 or similar... it did less than 30mpg average. I just couldn't see the point of it.
If it's ridden everywhere at 10/10ths it'll do sub 30, but ridden sensibly it'll double that. Any car with the same performance as a Gixxer 6 will likely only do 3 or 4 mpg when driven similarly, so the point is it's extremely cheap and accessible performance, with the added bonus of being far more involving and rewarding than hooning in a car.

My Mad Max does about 30mpg, but that's an absolute torque monster. Roll on the throttle hard from 30mph in 6th and it violently reaches forward, grabs hold of the horizon and throws it backwards over my shoulder. Do the same in an Aventador and you'd have time to make a cup of tea before it woke up.

Now, I'm not a loon. A few years thrashing cars professionally got that well and truly out of my system, but it means when I want to overtake I can simply do so. No hesitation, no wasting milliseconds treading down into the correct gear, I simply wish it to be and before I know it the overtake is done. It makes me lazy for sure, but being able to exploit such moments in an instant is itself quite fun, and fun that can be had at legal speeds.

Of course, paying for a new rear tyre every 2000 miles (2 years in my case) isn't so much fun, but it's not intended to be serious transport. It's a toy, with the added bonus of being rapid long distance transport that is not subject to the whim of traffic flow if ever required. About this time last year I had to fly home and the only flight at sensible cash was From Manchester - the Max scythed through the journey like a fat man through a wedding cake. That is the point.

Top Bottom