Going for drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Drago,

As stated, it averaged less than 30mpg... that's what average means D.
But.. it might not have been down to the bike (on the other hand, it might have had a fault?). If your friend was wringing the bike's neck 100% of the time then the "average" mpg isn't going to reflect the average mpg of a normal rider. Obviously. Maybe he was doing short trips all the time? Or....or....or....
I find it hard to believe that a 600cc sports bike in real world riding will return less than 30 mpg.. Even MCN managed to get 38mpg out of a CBR600F on their test.
I ride a Honda VFR 800 VTec, 2002 model. According to the aforementioned MCN, the average mpg is 38. That is maybe what they achieved by running it round a racetrack a few times, but in the real world I get 50 to 60 mpg.. On a long motorway ride at legal-ish speeds :whistle: it's still mid 40's.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Yes, yes, I know, you are all right.

There's no point whatsoever having a fast sports bike.... is there?

Averaging less than 30mpg is ridiculous, but then aimlessly driving or riding around is ridiculous- unless the person gets enjoyment from doing it- which presumably is the OP's point?

Last edited:

dodgy

On certain forums you can still read of car enthusiasts going out for a drive for pleasure. They use euphemisms a lot, such as "making progress" aka "speeding" or "driving spiritedly" aka "speeding".

Tossers :laugh:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If anyone wants to question my friend on his riding style or his maintenance regime I would be happy to put you in touch with him, but don't be surprised if he tells you, politely, to go away. He used to have a fully laden Goldwing tourer on which when he and his wife toured Europe each year but someone drove into the back of it when they were waiting at traffic lights and after his wife recovered she refused to ever sit on a bike again, which put paid to their holidays.

He got the sports bike as part of the insurance pay-out, but rapidly got bored with it and sold it on last year. If he said it did less than 30mpg, I'm happy to accept the fact but I'm not going to disbelieve him 'cos he's bigger than me and less easy going when irritated! :laugh:

Only in the Capri.
huh? what? somebody say Capri?

DSC_1070 1983 Capri - small.jpg

mine was a 1983 Mercury Capri, 4cyl 5spd, red interior & t-tops, no a/c, the model w/ a curved rear window & shh don't tell anyone, a hollowed out catalytic converter. wicked fun to drive just couldn't let up on the gas too abruptly or the muffler would backfire & bust a seam. I went in looking for a new Mustang SVO w/ hood scoop but they didn't make it w/ t-tops & I couldn't afford a new one anyway. then they showed me this pre-owned unit. I think the payments were only $200 a month. regardless I had to get out of my Chevy Citation that Daddy bought for me. the 1st car registered in my own name ... that's what your 20s are for, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom