Going from 105 to SRAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I would like to change the set up on my bike from 105 to SRAM as I’m finding it more difficult to to change up and down the gears due to the hoods being quite large for my small hands and possibly arthritis starting up in my fingers

Is it possible to get away with just changing the levers and the front and rear derailleur?

Would I need new brakes and cranks?

My crankset is FSA with BB30 - bike is a cannondale synapse

sram and shimano have a different cable pull ratio, see the table a little way down this page here...

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science...ce-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Keep everything but the shifters and the rear mech.

The Shimano front mech will work fine if not better than the SRAM alternative but you do need a SRAM rear mech as the Shimano RD's don't move the same distance per click and you end up with the chain making a noise.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Hmm, not entirely sure if Sram Double Tap is any easier on the fingers than Shimano 105. (I have both set ups.) Have you considered bar end shifters? With bar end shifters you actually change gear with the base (not the ends) of your two smallest fingers. Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed shifters cost about £72 and you could keep all your existing 105 groupset. (Though you might want to swap the redundant hoods for, say, Tektro RL520s which are available at £20 a pair.)

vickster

Legendary Member
Double tap is really easy for smaller hands with the more ergo hoods. Apex or 10 speed rival. The 11 Speed a little chunkier

The lower paddle to single / double tap for up down change very easy, and you can brake at the same time easily much more than with Shimanos wobbly lever!

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Hmm, not entirely sure if Sram Double Tap is any easier on the fingers than Shimano 105. (I have both set ups.) Have you considered bar end shifters? With bar end shifters you actually change gear with the base (not the ends) of your two smallest fingers. Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed shifters cost about £72 and you could keep all your existing 105 groupset. (Though you might want to swap the redundant hoods for, say, Tektro RL520s which are available at £20 a pair.)

Admittedly I haven’t thought about bar end shifters
Do you use them yourself?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have fairly small hands and prefer SRAM

One of their marketing things is true 22 gears so front mech fairly important if you want that.

Which one you looking at?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Admittedly I haven’t thought about bar end shifters
Do you use them yourself?

I have 2 bikes with bar end shifters (including one with Shimano 105 chainset/derailleurs which is why I know it'll work!) The disadvantage is that you can't change gear when you hands are on the hoods - you have to move your hand position to the drops. This is not something that has ever bothered me but I can see that Mark Cavendish in mid sprint might not find it to his taste. For leisure riding, touring and 'gravel' I find them fine. (And if you have problems with gimpy fingers I think they're an excellent solution.)

I agree with Vickster about the wobbly Shimano lever which is why I suggested swapping the 105 shifters for a pure brake lever. (BTW I'm also a fan of Sram Apex - it's just that you'd need to replace the rear derailleur as well as the shifters if you go down that route.)

(BTW my glove size is medium.)

Top Bottom