Going hydraulic - internally routed cables...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Hi, I want to upgrade my Focus Mares CX 105, which currently has a hybrid disc brake system (cable down to the caliper, then hydraulic) - to fully hydraulic (I can't get the hybrid ones to work very well at all, they never have done, and neither can 2 LBSs, so I give up and don't want to go through another winter of very little braking ability). My question is around how easy this is to DIY - if I get the kit, since the cables are internally routed - Is it harder to do hydraulic than cables in this respect? Do I need special tools? Should I let the bike shop do it all...??! Any pointers/links grateful!

Thanks
Russell

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There are some bends a cable can take that a hose cannot, which means the installation may not work if you follow the cable route.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you changing everything ie lever and the caliper the the pipe will need disconnecting.
Once its threaded through and re- connected you may need to bleed.
Do it from the brake lever as these should self bleed when re- connected.
A few little pulls on the lever 5-10 mm will set the lever firm again.
Do not keep pulling the lever all the way as the will cause air problems.

Use the old cable to draw the new pipes through the frame.

Hope that helps

D

Deleted member 23692

The function of a hydraulic system isn't affected by sharp bends, unlike a cable system which suffers from internal friction. So most cable runs are kept as straight as possible. If you can physically thread the hose through, then it'll work fine.

This tool might might help - here

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless the sharp bend restricts the pipe, as many a hosepipe owner has discocered... It may well work, but it's worth considering Pale Riders wise words.

D

Deleted member 23692

If the bend is sharp enough to kink a hose then a cable following the same path won't work either. Assuming the hose the hose follows the existing cable path, which lologic dictates it will, then it'll be fine.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you think going the hydraulic route is too much trouble why don't go with TRP Spyres?
Great stoppers and come in both post and flat mount versions. You'll also save on new levers.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If you think going the hydraulic route is too much trouble why don't go with TRP Spyres?
Great stoppers and come in both post and flat mount versions. You'll also save on new levers.

There’s sense in this - going full mechanical would certainly be simpler and cheaper than going full hydraulic.

simonali

Guru
I would imagine that an Ultegra version of the same bike (just an example) would be equipped with the same frame and full hydraulic brakes and therefore the cable/hose runs would be compatible.

OP
OP
RussellZero

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Thanks all, sounds like a bit of a project, I can always try it myself and then take it to the LBS if/when it all goes wrong :smile: Will look into a full mechanical setup as well, Ive heard these aren't so great, but I'll do some research.

OP
OP
RussellZero

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
The first review I've read on the Spyres says the hybrid setup I've got is better, if you can afford the extra cost...! Im guessing something very wrong with my current setup, maybe I'll have another go at resolving myself, or try a different shop.

simonali

Guru
Is your CX a 2017/2018 carbon jobbie? If yes then it's definitely ready as mine has a full hydraulic setup.

simonali

Guru
It does look very similar, but they have changed to flat mount calipers at some point. Other than that I'd say they've not altered a great deal. Only other design change that I can think of is that they went from a 15mm front axle to 12mm, but that won't affect brake cable runs.

:okay:

Top Bottom